Chapter 4: Seon-Ho

The Seo's had never really met my father, except Hwi on a few occasions. The last time he met my father...I had no choice but to betray my only friend when I had no idea he rigged the military exam in my favour...by sending him to the military. My father had put me through a lot of things when he snatched me from my mother but this...making me turn against the only people who trusted me and loved me...who were my only family for my ambitions...it broke me to another level, it really did.

But Yeon...one again Yeon surprised me. Yeon had never met him but now we were all living together I was completely on edge in case she did the wrong thing or said something to upset him. But she...I cannot pinpoint why but she always treated my father...coolly. And she was the first one to do so. I thought I was going to suffer a panic attack when I realised that Yeon had dismissed the servants I brought to her and I found out she was actually completing her own chores by herself...and my father found out. I thought when she forgot everything that she would need some help but...apparently not. In fact, she was even more efficient than the old lazy maids that were probably born with the mansion. I headed over to her as soon as I found out my father was on the move, ready to lecture her as I had to beat my father to it but...I can't really explain it. Seeing her in noble clothes and doing her own laundry reminded me of the times when I would watch her do her chores whilst I waited for her brother to get ready for sparring. They were in total synchronisation; she would bring him anything he needed, cook for him, sew his clothing when he needed it...that when I envied them the most. He had his precious sister by his side at home whereas I had no one.

But now she was here doing chores...in my home...around me with ease as if I was her brother...and of course, she looked at me with a smile. I think it was the fact that she has transformed into something so...angelic and she was at peace in my personal hell-hole. She was so...strong. More than she knew. But as soon as my father came and ruined the mood I was in a panic mood. But when I turned around again there she was in my face...smiling at me...and I suddenly forgot about what comes over me every time my father gets in that mood when something doesn't go his way, even over the most trivial of things. She walked up to me with that innocent smile on her face before placing her small hands on my wrist and grasped it tightly momentarily before turning back around and completing her chores as my father drew near.

"So...have you already forgotten your lowly place in my home as you dare to parade around in the gifts my useless son gave you out of pity? How dare you dismiss my servants?" I thought I was going to pass out as I had frantically thought of my speech to defend her. But before I knew it she was...laughing? "My Lord, what exactly are you complaining about? Isn't it better for you that I have fewer people at your disposal? I am not in need of servants, as I know how to cook and clean by myself. Unless...unless you mean to spy on me via your people?" She looked at my father at this point who was beginning to lose the colour from his face...as was I. Was she really the same...meek girl I grew up with? The one who grew up in rags and poverty and had no choice but to keep her mouth shut. Who exactly was this girl before me?...who was the exact opposite of who she used to be in every way possible. "But as you know, you have confined me to your mansion in every way apart from the one day of the month you let me outside. So there's nothing to spy about. I wake up, wash, get dressed, eat, sew, read and sleep. Every damned day, the same routine over and over again. Now my lords, do you mind? Or would you like to continue watching an underage girl hanging up her private laundry to dry?" And with that, she defeated the both of us as my father had no choice but to walk away since she didn't technically do anything to warrant severe action.

And she kept doing it; every decree my father sent against her she always managed to evade it without getting punished for it like it sure would have.

I couldn't help but watch her more after that; she was more than capable of looking after herself and for some reason...it fascinated me; she was the complete opposite of everyone I had grown up around. Everyone in the man was cold and ignorant; Yeon radiated warmth wherever she went and was more than helpful. Everyone here was selfish, greedy, and never looked past their own needs and troubles. Yeon came to me regularly before bed and asked me if I needed anything when she served me tea. I normally didn't answer her; not to be rude, but because no one ever asked me that before. I would just shake my head at her and wish her goodnight. I know she was treating me as a brother, I had seen her do this to Hwi all of my life. But for some reason, it had an entirely different effect on me together. It went past the guilt I had, past my loneliness, and went straight to my heart. I felt it every night since she arrived. I tried to distance myself from her, only because of my father. If he wasn't crawling around then I swear...I know for a fact, that she would make up for everything I had missed out on since I was here. I tried, like I did every single night, to think about everything but Yeon and what it could lead to if I...if we...if my father wasn't...to my horror I felt actual tears running down my face, for the both of us.