Chapter 85: Seon-Ho

"We saw how you handled matters at the ranch with its owners. Truth be told; we have been investigating them for a long time for transporting weapons which they hold no permit to acquire. But you seem to be very close to one of the employees there? The low-born girl?" "That 'lowborn' girl is the sister of one of my closest friends; the children of the greatest swordsman in our dynasty. So she is not born into the lower class, she and her brother were demoted to it. But as you all well know, he has become the right-hand man of the Prince Bang-Won and she herself is under the protection of that very same prince and his elder brother Bang-Gan" I almost snapped. They all looked very impressed with this piece of news. "Is she really that...interesting enough to have united the two feuding princes over a common girl? Really?" Before I could answer back at this little informal meeting in Ihwaru, another inspector chimed in "that's not the point here gentlemen. We need someone to infiltrate the ranch and we have a perfect candidate here. Listen Seon-Ho; if you can gather the proof we need for this case; which is one of the longest ones we have had then this can get most definitely get you a promotion, especially since it's under your jurisdiction. They have only been acting rather careless recently when you were put into office. I can see that they want to make some familial connections with you" they all joked but I held it in "so, I do my job at the ranch, I get a promotion...and what about the employees and the servants? The noble people are all supposedly sent by their families who fund the weapons to protect their interests." I had been given a big opportunity once again with Yeon's help. As content as I was for now in my job I really had to climb my ranks quickly to take revenge on Bang-Won and the King I was once desperate to serve against my father. The very thought of knowing the truth of what I was forced to do the whole time I did everything in my power to get close to him still put me through so much anger that I almost went back to opium houses a few times, despite my promise to Yeon to stay sober from now on. And I had to be, to achieve my revenge in the palace, no matter how many years it took before I left it all behind and stayed with Yeon forever; who would eventually be my wife...no matter what it took.

I was out on a job and on my home to Yeon and her food that I had been craving since the moment I had left a week ago. She usually spoilt me with a lot of homemade things especially for me when I came back from work; new dishes she had worked hard on, seasonal clothes she made just for me, medical herbs I needed for work and other homemade gifts that she learned to create in what little free time she had, such as scents and other accessories for me. I almost reached the ranch when I saw nothing but chaos. The ranch was in a right state; there was no-one around and the animals were let loose all over the place. My first instinct was to call out for Yeon but she didn't respond. I made my way to her room; only to see it empty, destroyed...and there were drops of blood everywhere. Panic began to set in; but I tried to contain myself and not overreact like I always did when it came to her. She was a clever girl who was more than capable of defending herself...to an extent. I knew she would leave me clues. Soon enough I spotted a servant who seemed to be hiding from me; I dragged him out from the spot and I thrust my sword against his throat as I demanded that he tell me everything. When he told me that Yeon would stop by my office to hand over a statement and proof before recovering in Ihwaru I knew what I needed to do. I sent him to collect my colleagues that were under me as I found her employer bleeding onto the floor; from her face and her hands. That told me everything I needed to know as I search the ranch and their home thoroughly just in time when the other's arrived. We found everything we needed to, as well as expose the corrupt families who sent their children there to protected their interests. Without stopping to take a break I made my way to Ihwaru as fast as I could...but not before looking into the person who held Yeon captive earlier, as I was sure her employers were paid to mistreat her.