Chapter 55: Seo Yeon

Sooner or later my brother had no choice but to bring me to meet the Prince Bang-Won at his request. The minute my brother told me; I knew from then on that I had no choice now but to distance myself from Seon-Ho to ensure his safety as I had always planned on doing when I reunited with my brother. All I could do was hope and pray that Seon-Ho wouldn't give up on himself...and make me pay for it all...which I had a dark feeling that he would.

The next day as we both made our way to the Palace I caught a glimpse of Seon-Ho who noticed my brother dragging me to Bang-Won's residence...and he really wasn't happy about it. He tried to follow us but he kept running into officials who all wanted to speak to him. A part of me wanted him to reach out to me and take me out of this a-cursed place...and the other hoped he would be too busy to follow me...I barely had time to greet the Prince before he started talking to me...a little more promptly than I was expecting to be honest...

"So...you finally accomplished what you wanted Seo-Hwi...and I'm rather surprised that the capabilities of you sister as well. I do not imagine you would hide it from me...maybe she indeed had changed since her memory loss" he looked at me in a strange way that made me uncomfortable. "So what are your plans now?" He asked with feigned interest but I know he was fishing for information because he wanted my brother to stay as close to him as possible. But before Hwi could answer, I did it for him; telling both men that I wished to retire to my room and board where I had occasionally stayed at whenever the Nam's were out of town for work and carry on with my jobs that not even my brother knew I had. I could feel his eyes burning into me as well and I knew I had to talk to him about everything...well, most things. But first of all I had to try separate this selfish Prince from my brother once and for all. This was the part of today that I was dreading the most; a lot was at stake here including the future of my brother and Seon-Ho, but I wasn't ready to loose them both again to this god-forsaken place...the way I lost my father.

"So...you wish to return to an obscure life Seo-Yeon? Away from your brother?" He asked curiously. Before I could give my reply I could hear Seon-Ho running around to find us; most likely looking for me for answers "Yes My Lord, I suspect my brother will now want to settle down in town with his woman and I wish to live my independent life not too far away from them...but enough that they should not be implicated in my...deviant personality and behaviour" I shot Hwi a look not to argue with me about this in public, I could tell he was getting frustrated, more than I was used to but I had other important things to think about. "Well Seo-Yeon, I'm sure that I could get you a position in the palace alongside your brother where your...deviant personality would be full appreciated by the right people" he made his way towards me when Seon-Ho came bursting in full of untamed anger as usual...but I had already backed off by then in full view of everyone before they did something stupid. I looked the Prince in the eye as I made a polite bow and rejected his offer as politely as I could "thank you My Lord, but I have no desire to work in the palace or anywhere near it for that matter." Everyone looked at me in utter shock, as if I had slaughtered an animal in front of them; if the situation wasn't so serious I might have burst out laughing as usual. Even the Prince had lost in composure but I couldn't take being there anymore so I made my way out, half hoping that Seon-Ho would take me by the hand and take me far away from this place so I could breathe for a while...with him...who was right there in front of me. We looked at each again and that same feeling rose from somewhere deep down inside of me that I felt when we parted yesterday...he looked straight at me and reached his hand out...then we were once again pulled into the real world when the prince asked me if I would reconsider his offer.

Once again I took a deep breathe, preparing for the worst as I walked up to him again "No, My Lord, you see...I don't like what you have done" I turned to walk away but he stopped me once again to ask what crime he committed before I turned around for the last time to address him "My Lord...you family have broken up both of my families, so why ever should I want to work here?" I looked him dead in the eye without fear or hesitation. His face paled in return but he didn't loose his composure; he had fear in his eyes which was a good thing; no matter what I said he wouldn't do anything to hurt me out of fear...or respect to my brother...and maybe...

Before I gave him a chance to answer I carried on with my statement "you must know what I mean My Lord. I'm obviously talking about the loss of my father who who was so dedicated to your family over some bogus charges...and the loss of my brother's friend, Nam-Jeon's son who was everything to me as a little girl that my brother wasn't; an uncle and an aunt, another proctor...and his ambitions for this place got to the best of him in this place but then again...you knew all about that didn't you? And my brother as well" I challenged him to deny what I had said so far but his look or mannerisms didn't change at all, then yet again I was keeping calm instead of being 'an emotional wreck like any other woman would'.

"Yeonnie...what..." my brother looked at me as if I was having another fit but I gave him a look he knew all too well, it was the same look he used to give me all the time when I had my epilepsy fits. "The King...was the first one to find out that Nam-Jeon rigged the military exam. He made Seon-Ho kill the official who ratted him out...but not before the Prince found out. He looked into Seon-Ho, which lead him to you brother. All of Nam-Jeon's requests had come from the Queen herself...Of course the Prince found out about this also so he's been trying to find a way to rid him himself and that's where you came in brother...until he found out about your friendship with him. The prince would go out o this way to insult Seon-Ho about his birthright every chance he got; only provoking his anger towards his father even more, hoping to use you both together to bring him down. And then get rid of Seon-Ho by proving him to be an unfilial son and try to bring both Nam men down together...using you of course brother. He saw Seon-Ho's ambitions that led to him taking you to Liadong...but that plan actually came from Prince Bang-Won, why else otherwise would Nam-Jeon agree to it instead of killing both of us anyways? He was hoping his son would do that for him and when he didn't...the Prince has used both of your goals for this country to turn you into mindless killing machines with no morals so how could you both die an honourable death, no matter how it happened? Maybe...just maybe he would have sparred you brother...but only if you killed Seon-ho yourself, or made you both kill each other. He got in between your friendship so why can't he make you both go the far?" I sneered at the both of them, disgusted by their stupidity and their blindness to their once well thought-out goals that would eventually lead them into the same grave.

They both looked at me in horror and regret but I was so angry at that point I wanted to slap them both but I didn't dare. I didn't dare to look at anyone's face as I made my way to leave but the Prince grabbed my arm before I could. He had another strange look on his face, one I couldn't decipher, but his next words stunned me completely "you...you really do have a lot of your father in you, Seo-Yeon. Now I know where that deviant behaviour of yours comes from. Are you sure you don't want a position here in the place? Not even...as a concubine? You would be well looked after" I saw Seon-Ho flying at him with rage but I threw myself at him so he wouldn't get himself killed by trying to attack a Prince...but not before Hwi charged at him and threw him a couple of punches. Finally...seeing his friend in danger put Seon-Ho back into his senses and he managed to pull Hwi off of him before the guards could touch him. And in the midst of all of this I tried to run away before he could hold me back anymore...but not before running into the Prince Bang-Gan who had showed up just in time with a smirk on his face. "Do not worry about this girl brother, she is under my protection...and she will be working for me in the new year" he turned to look at me but I was too out of it to reply...and I ran.