Chapter 50

The back garden is lit with lights like a thousand fireflies, flickering on and off as it gave off the same vibe of starlings from the night sky. The pavilion is decorated with crystal shape bulbs and there were food already placed atop the rectangular table.

Fortunately it didn't snow that night. It may be cold but somehow there was warmth being emitted. A sort of comfort that seem to embrace people from behind, like a cozy blanket during a winter eve. Mikoto and Fugaku waited as their sons came, bringing with them the women they swore to protect and spend the rest of their being.

Sasuke and Sakura came first. Sasuke is carrying the baby while Sakura handed the gifts to her mother and father-in-law with a kiss on the cheek as a form of affection.

"Merry Christmas," Sakura said. "Sasuke-kun and I carefully thought about what mother and father would like as a gift. I hope you'll be happy with what we chose."

"Whatever it is, we'll always be thankful," Mikoto said with a smile as she put the gift aside and gesture for them to sit. Sasuke put the baby in her seat beside Sakura and she seem to be happy to see the food in front, even though she might not be able to eat most of it since she doesn't have much teeth yet.

"And besides, having Sarada-chan here is the best gift ever!" Mikoto added as she lightly caress Sarada's cheek and the baby giggled. True to what she said, the baby is indeed one of the best gift Mikoto has ever received. And the addition to their family, Sakura, her daughter-in-law.

"We have our presents prepared inside as well. Let's head inside after we finish dinner," Fugaku said and the baby looked at him, she wasn't giggling anymore. It must have been because Fugaku's tone of voice was stern and firm. An old habit that is hard to break.

When Fugaku realized it, he cleared his throat, his eyes closed before he looked at his granddaughter. "Of course, Sarada-chan will receive her special gift from me."

Suddenly, someone made a choking noise and they all looked at Sasuke who was drinking earlier and he choke before coughing a few times as he placed the glass on the table.

"Is something the matter, Sasuke?" Fugaku asked, his firm tone back. It's easy to notice since the tone he used when talking to Sarada was far different, far lighter as if he was cooing.

"I thought I'd never hear you speak so gently like that," Sasuke said and Sakura hid her smile since it was the first Sasuke acknowledge that change.

At least, until Sasuke added.

"Stop it. It doesn't suit you, father."

Fugaku was about to reprimand Sasuke but Itachi and Izumi came. They handed the gifts to Fugaku and Mikoto before settling on their seat.

"Our gifts to Sakura and Sasuke will be given later," Izumi said as she turned to Sarada. "And of course to Sarada-chan!"

"Our gifts as well," Sakura said, turning to Izumi with a smile.

"What's wrong, Sasuke?" Itachi asked when he noticed Sasuke across him. "Are you sulking because nii-san didn't give you a gift first?"

"Shut the hell up, Ita–" Sasuke cut himself off when he felt Sakura nudged him. He cleared his throat, much like what his father did earlier before opening his eyes to look at Itachi. "I mean, will you please close your mouth, nii-san. I'm no longer five years old to sulk at something so trivial like that."