Chapter 5: Coy

Rei had whisked (Y/n) away to a private lunch that he had potential candidates for ladies in waiting for her. They were dressed quite neatly, wearing their best clothes and having done their hair just right in order to impress not only the future king but to make a good first impression on the lady they intended to serve. It would be an honor for them, something not only they wanted, but their families too, wanting to boost their social and political approval. It was not only important, but it was nerve-wracking as well.

Lunch was merely an opening in time that Rei had to judge the women, but he made sure to put them at ease. Any mistakes made in front of the (h/c) haired girl would make it seem like he had wrongfully chosen a lady in waiting for her. That would make it seem like he didn't know her, and that couldn't have possibly been true. No, he knew everything about her, and he wouldn't just hand the position of a queen's best friend away.

At the moment, the blonde had chosen three of the potential girls to have lunch with him and (Y/n). It was a clear honor, and the ladies were putting on great smiles for him. He found it quite amusing, tilting his head with a grin as he observed their little mannerisms. Rei was quite fond of holding the (h/c) haired girl's hand while he did so as if he could sense her feelings in the matter in the process.

"(Y/n)," the blonde chuckled, motioning to the girls across from them, "These lovely ladies are the firstborn of the Marquis of Esprein, the third born child of the Duke of Masten, and the sixth born of the Earl of Aglos. They are highly respectable. Tell me if you like anyone, okay? I'd like you to have a few friends so you don't get too lonely when I'm away."

There was slight conversation between the girls, but for the most part, they were silent. The inability of the (h/c) haired girl to speak made them wait for a chance to have a meaningful conversation. They respectfully held their tongues before one of them - the eldest of the three it appeared - gave a dainty cough and held a teacup to her lips. She sipped slightly before giving a heartwarming smile and speaking.

"It's lovely to meet you, Lady (Y/n)," she said, her voice calm and poised, "Prince Rei has told us so much about you. I'm eager to learn more. Perhaps later we can chat in the garden? I've heard it's beautiful at night. The water lights up and - "

"Are you seeking to benefit from being friends with my cupcake when you haven't done a thing for her?" Rei asked, his eyes darkening but his charming expression remaining, "That's incredibly presumptuous of you, isn't it?"

"I apologize," the girl said quickly, placing down her teacup and giving a bow of her head, "I only meant to have a conversation."

"When she didn't initiate it or ask for it? Some would think that's obnoxious; someone talking when you didn't want them to," the blonde continued, giving a patronizing smile, "What do you think, pumpkin?"

The (h/c) haired girl looked to the side, giving a contemplative expression to the older male. With a frown, he adjusted her, pulling her chin up so she looked prouder and far more regal. This put another grin on his face, only serving to make the girl tense up in fear as he touched her. He didn't seem to mind the thought process she had, but he wished she would accept his touches with a more normal expression.

"It's fine," she said meekly, her eyes darting to the floor.

"Oh, was I reading too much into it? I guess so," Rei shrugged, turning to the girl he had interrupted, "My apologies."

"I take no offense, your majesty," she responded, giving a bow of her head, "It's an honor to merely be in your presence. It must be I who apologizes for insulting you and your lady."

Rei resisted the urge to scoff at the words the woman was saying, not because they were ones he didn't want to hear, but because they were so utterly predictable. Then again, he was going to be the next king and he did demand a larger degree of respect than he would have otherwise as a duke. The male observed the conversation between the ladies in front of him, but it appeared they were too frightened to speak and say the wrong thing in his presence. Luckily, a servant pulled him away from his attendance.