Chapter 65: Rose and Champagne

"And I so thought he was interested in me," a noble girl sighed, resting her palm to her cheek in disappointment, "but he's far too shy to propose. Father says it's only a matter of time, but I'm doubting he ever will."

"Marriage isn't everything," (Y/n) hummed, "I think you're more than satisfactory on your own."

"If only. Truth be told, I'm not opposed to marriage nor am I for it, but my father is so proud of me. I'd hate to let him down. Besides, I am interested in the Duke of Ebon. It's just a bit convoluted is all."

"Then I'll support you whatever you choose. You've been a reliable friend."

The noble girl giggled, smiling adoringly at her soon-to-be queen. It was rather exciting to have someone new to converse with, and both females thought as much. Perhaps the (h/c) haired girl was more in need of a companion, but it wasn't as if her newfound friend had any qualms with it. She was rather out-going and always looking for someone else to talk with, especially a fellow lover of gardens.

"I bet their highnesses would agree," the younger girl snickered, her mischievous air of playfulness almost contagious.

As (Y/n) gave a hum that radiated confusion, the noble girl tilted her head with much the same reaction. The two had been wandering around the garden for quite some time, watching the gardeners work diligently on them. It was always renowned across the world for its stunning sights and the vastness of it was even more impressive. Nobles absolutely adored touring around it while chatting with their friends. It wasn't just the ladies either.

The (h/c) haired girl had come to realize that there were often numerous pairs of them in the garden somewhere. Whereas the ladies exercised, gazing at the almost always blooming flowers, the males never seemed to leave where they stood. Often their attention was drawn to the girls as they passed by. They often leaned into one another to gossip amongst themselves about the most attractive of them. Marriage was always something on the nobility's mind, after all. Even after centuries, that tradition never changed.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, nothing, really. It's just the way that the princes look at you, you'd swear they're going to steal you away from his majesty. It's the talk of the town or the country as it were. Perhaps the whole world next. Care to share?"

"There's nothing to tell."

"Oh? I find that hard to believe. After all, it's all too easy to see the conflicting thoughts Prince Kazuki has. Oh, his cheeks turn red whenever you're near him, but he looks in pain! I bet the idea of Lady Moriko keeps him from kissing you the way he wants to!"

(Y/n)'s eyes narrowed in curiosity as she brought her fingers to her chin, thinking deeply about that name. It always seemed to pop up, somehow overshadowing everything else that the blonde was. Perhaps it trailed around him so much that other people were able to see the weight that rested on his shoulders. Or maybe it was more like a haunting? She didn't know, but for one reason or another, it worried her all the same.

"Oh, and Prince Ichiro has gotten really possessive of you. I don't think I've ever seen him so aggressive, but it just goes to show you how much he wants to protect you, huh? It's so cute. I wish Duke Ebon would show his feelings so openly!"

"I'm sure he'll come around. I guess it must be scary to think of rejection."

"That's just it though...I don't think that's the problem. I told him I wanted to get married someday and that I'd like children. I even said I wanted a husband that was stern and handsome...Ah! That's it! He's dense! As dense as you are!"

"Me?" the (h/c) haired girl gasped, pointing to herself in confusion and shaking her hands wildly to dismiss the thought, "How did I come up in this conversation?"