Chapter 68: Meraki

(Y/n) was barely aware of Presley Alvaric's presence at the castle. He was always working without pause, focused on supporting the royal family in even the most trivial of ways. She had seen him around Orion, following him like an overprotective mother. In that regard, he had two. However, the younger girl had never truly had a conversation with the male that lasted very long. Whenever they did speak, it was because he was keeping her company while the orange-haired boy was being treated by his doctors.

As such, when the coral-haired male had entered her room and requested she follow him, she was skeptical. Rei had warned her not to trust people she didn't know, and to always be wary of people's intentions regarding him. She was always so trusting, a large reason he was so protective over her. That being said, she was strangely compelled to follow after the male, mainly because he had mentioned a surprise.

He led her through the halls and opened a door with an enthusiastic smile, revealing a somewhat antsy blonde. Kazuki was sitting on the bed in front of an easel with a paintbrush and an embarrassed expression. He could barely look at her, but from time to time, he had stolen a glimpse before his golden eyes darted away. While he appeared largely insociable towards her, when she sat next to him nonetheless, he gave a thankful smile.

"He's quite shy about expressing his talents," Presley smiled, "humble, too. Please smother him with compliments nonetheless, however."

The younger girl gave a confused look at the retreating male, her gaze continuing to linger on the door after it was closed. When Kazuki moved was when she looked up at him with fascination. He blushed, his hands shaking. The male believed he would mess up his work with shaky hands, but it wasn't as if he could know right off the bat. Sighing, he trembled, attempting to calm his nerves only to make them worse.

That being said, when the (h/c) haired girl put her hands on his, her warmth flooding into him, he smiled shyly. It was such a kind gesture for her to assist him in his fear. He could spend the day forever like that, just having her kindness thrill him to no end. When his hands returned to their normal state, separated from any worries he might have had, the younger girl laid down on his thighs, looking up at him.

When he began to paint, she watched in fascination, making herself comfortable on him. He eventually began to coat the canvas in paint, his strokes gentle and meaningful. It seemed to suit him. Perhaps it was a calming action he had grown to adore or perhaps he had been inspired by someone. Either way, it was clear he had great talent. She racked her mind to figure out what he was attempting to create. Not long into the process, it appeared he was working on a view from the castle balcony.

Most likely, it was from his room when he was a child. The sparkling ocean water reflecting the warm and sunny glare from the moon was beautiful. It was like a large steam of stars in an endless galaxy. The realism was prominent, always appearing as if it were more of a picture than a painting. However, whether it was natural or man-made, it put her at ease. She made herself more comfortable on the male in response.

Her head laid on his lap, her fingers drawing nonsensical circles and squiggles on him. The male was startled at first, but as he viewed it as a sign of affection and trust in his ability to keep her safe while vulnerable. He grew quickly fond of it within mere moments, sighing deeply with a love-drunk smile on his features. As if to thank her for the calming action, he draped a blanket over her in case she wanted to sleep on him. It would have been an honor.

"How long have you been painting?" she yawned, nuzzling against the male's stomach.

"Since I was a child, I suppose. It used to be my parent's greatest pride. I'd sing for visiting royalty and while they enjoyed some wine, they'd admire my paintings. It's been a couple of years since the last time I painted, however."