Chapter 4: Abandoned

The crowd was going crazy with the information they were presented. They simply couldn't believe their ears. Question after question was asked about the former queen's daughter and her intentions about coming forward about the news. However, Rei and his father only remained amused by the way the subjects of the country were reacting, scurrying about like ants. Still, the line of succession was a tricky and fickle subject, one that needed to be fine-tuned to prevent any mishaps.

"I must apologize for keeping this from you all," the blonde's mother spoke, giving a curtsy, "Unfortunately, my former husband and I were quite upset at one another, and we took to different company. From that, my sons, Kazuki and Ichiro, were created out of wedlock. In other terms, they are bastards."

Another shock rumbled through the press, many reporters having heart attacks as were the people watching the event from their homes. The country was losing its mind, fearing for the next successor of the throne and the future of their country. Many asked questions about why the woman would come forward about her and her ex-husband's crimes, but most wanted to know who would replace Orion as the next king.

"This is a difficult subject to bring up. My former husband and I were quite distaken with one another and for many years, we neglected our relationship. It was purely political, and I was taken with another man. Years after I split apart from that man, I found solace in my husband's arms again and we created our youngest son, Rei. Unfortunately, our love did not remain, but Rei did. It would be a crime to neglect to mention that my eldest sons are ineligible for the throne, so I am confessing. Please accept my apologies."

Again, loud arguing erupted through the people gathered in front of the royal family, some about their frustrations with the queen's youngest daughter. However, most were beginning to realize the next eligible candidate for the throne. After all, he was sitting right behind his mother, a charming smile on his face. Perhaps it was just for show, but it was there, making the people at ease or alarmed. No matter the option, everyone would accept it in time, Rei just knew it.

"As my elder sister produced no heirs that can succeed the throne, and my eldest sons are illegitimate, I would like to present my youngest son to you. He will be the one to ascend to the throne."

The blonde-haired male stood up with a cocky yet charismatic grin after kissing (Y/n)'s cheek. She appeared scared for him to leave her sitting alone with a giant crowd of confused people before her, so he made sure to keep his speaking as concise as possible. Perhaps if he did that, he could bring her to stand next to him and keep her safe. Rei was incredibly motivated by the idea, wanting to provide security to the younger girl and show his charm to her at the same time. How could he not smile at that?

"It's a pleasure to stand before you, and to be the next one to serve our great country," Rei spoke proudly, holding his head high, "Through my youngest years, I have watched my beloved grandmother lead us through strife and hardship and encourage our successes and triumphs. A true source of inspiration, I hold her near and dear to my heart as I do with all my family. I only wish to serve you with the same enthusiasm and grace that she bestowed upon us."

The crowd was awed at the way the blonde-haired male spoke, watching as he would give heartfelt expressions or passionate talks about things he wished to achieve. The way he would almost break down when talking about his cousin and brother would drive the observers to tears. And the great reassurance he provided them made them feel secure and wanting of his leadership. In other words, he manipulated them in such a way that they couldn't tell he was full of it. His elder brother had taught him a thing or two about the power of words, after all.

The male's speech ended soon after he found the crowd was putty in his hands, letting him mold the country how he wished and highlight (Y/n) above all else. Reporters lined up, practically pushing over themselves to hear more of what he had to say and learn more about him. A prodigy child turned king of Vethela. It was truly a fairy tale, one they planned on getting an exclusive on.