Chapter 50: At Long Last, Welcome Home

The (h/c) haired girl woke up in a silk bed, dressed in fine pajamas with her hair spread against the soft feather pillows. She tossed and turned her head as if she was recovering from a hangover, and she sighed, sitting up in confusion. A light shone on her face, the younger girl holding her hand in front of it to shield her sensitive eyes. Letting out a yawn, she was surprised by the door suddenly opening, flinching and cowering, shivering under the covers.

She heard some speaking and within a moment, the duvet was pulled off of her. Still, the younger girl cowered, wincing when someone touched her. When she looked up at the person, she saw a few maids surrounding her, bowing before ushering her to stand up. (Y/n) continued to shake in fear, not aware of where she was or who the people tending to her were. A corset was placed on her, made to be not so tight, and she was dressed in a simple but elegant dress with jewels coating it.

The girl then was pushed to the exterior of the room and made to walk through the halls. She continued to be terrified of her surroundings, so much so that she neglected to look at the clearly familiar hallway, weeping quietly and almost unnoticeably. Along the line, the younger girl was led into a room, opened by guards, and she felt a hand on her shoulder. Flinching, she whimpered and pleaded not to be hurt.

"My lady, you must be quiet," a maid stated quietly, "His highness is in a meeting with his advisors and - "

(Y/n) felt tears prick at her eyes as she realized where she was. Picking up the hem of her dress, she began to run through the doors in front of her. It revealed a large room with an oval table with papers, pens, and files scattered neatly along it. There were a few people on the right side of the table, discussing matters until they saw the younger girl in their peripherals. However, on the right side of the table was none other than Rei, and it only pushed her to run faster.

She jumped into the male's arms, crying and sobbing, hugging him tightly. It was a sense of relief for her to have someone she trusted protect her, and she refused to let go even when the maid panicked and tried to take her away from the room. Still, the monarch ushered her to leave, cooing to the younger girl and petting her head. A small smile was on his lips, and he kissed the top of her head until she looked up at him and stole passionate kisses, barely letting him catch his breath.

"You don't need to worry, cupcake," he mumbled, his cheeks bright red as he panted with amusement, "I'm not going anywhere and neither are you."

Still, she persisted in kissing him and even went so far as to suck on his neck, forming a bright red hickey. He gave a small groan, his embarrassment shielded under his mask. He looked over to his advisors who were simply pretending as if they were not watching the intimate display of affection and desperation.

"Please," the younger girl cried, gazing up into his amethyst eyes, "don't make me leave you."

Rei's eyes went wide and he radiated utter confusion in his aura, his grasp on her tightening. He then watched as she whimpered and sobbed with fear in her being. It prompted him to find his own darkness and suppress it for her sake. She had seen more than enough of violence and bloodshed. He refused to let her live in terror of such a thing, wanting to show her what she loved in life.

"Gentleman," the male sighed, pressing another kiss on the girl's head, "I have to discuss some things with my queen."

He stood up calmly and took (Y/n)'s hand, leading her out of the room and through the hallways. The male noticed the way she made quick but little strides in order to keep up with him, a fearful look in her eyes as if she truly thought he would leave her. He couldn't have imagined doing such a thing, frustrated with the realization he would have to instill more love in her. Of course, he was happy to provide affection, but the problem went deeper than that, and frankly, it left a sour taste in his mouth.