Chapter 42: Ripped From Nurturing Arms

Ichiro was a very energetic person. At times, it was difficult to deal with when responsible for, but Kazuki would have never thought that he would have been so affected by him not being home. Typically it was the other way around. The blonde would have been at work, immersed in meetings and buried under paperwork, so much so that he would be unable to return home until late at night.

He never would have thought there would be a day that he would come home to an empty home. It plagued his heart. If there was one thing in life he despised more than anything else, it was being abandoned. Of course, it wasn't so severe yet as Ichiro had only left for a date despite his warning against it. It wasn't like he was leaving the penthouse. If that were to happen, the blonde would have likely gone into regression. Life wouldn't have been worth living.

As the blonde exited the elevator, he found that the two hadn't returned. Placing his coat on its hanger and his work bag on the living room table, the male let out a sigh. Other than Mona, who was strutting along the floor with her tail in the air, there was no semblance of company that he could have. He didn't know what to do as it was one thing to be alone, but he had no work to distract himself with.

So what was a young man to do without a pastime? Truthfully, Kazuki had no answer. The male simply wandered around the penthouse with no aim or objective to complete. He pondered over everything possible, even going so far as to pause in the library. His sights were placed on a painting. It was incomplete and long since discarded from his mind. And yet, he found that he had an obligation to accept it in some shape or form.

What Orion had left in his will was one that he didn't expect. It wasn't like the orange-haired male to push someone into something, but then again, as Kazuki thought about it, it wasn't so much of a stick as it was a carrot. His cousin knew of the blonde's great love for charity, and it wasn't surprising to see that he'd used it to his advantage. By offering to donate to a charity, the male had placed a reward for him to earn.

It had been years since Kazuki even thought about painting. It used to be a passion of his, but he simply turned his head to it. He didn't care to bring back terrible memories even if he was complimented for his skill. Without passion, it was simply paint on a canvas, not some masterpiece or thing to admire. So he gave a sigh and mumbled an apology under his breath as he continued wandering through his home.

Eventually, his meandering came to a stop, and he sat down on his bed, holding his hands together nervously. The room was silent, and he heard nothing other than his own pathetic sighs. The sight was pitiful, he knew that to be true, but he couldn't help it. As he let himself fall onto his back, he stared up at the ceiling with a blank gaze in his eyes. His mind began to wander to times more simple.

. . .

"You want me to tutor you again? Aren't you capable of doing it yourself?"

"No way! Besides, this is nothing for you! Come on, Kazuki. I'll treat you to ice cream."

The blonde averted his eyes from the exuberant older girl. She was only a year older than him, but it often stopped him from asking her out. He must have believed at that time that it was strange to want to love an older woman. Of course, further along the line, he dismissed that thought entirely. Still, in pursuing her without her knowledge, his convictions wavered, and he often debated what he deserved.

"I don't mind," he said quietly, resting his head on the table, "Just listen this time, okay?"

"You got it, teach!"

Moriko jumped into the chair next to the blonde with a big grin on her face. She then slipped her textbook over to the male so he could use it for reference. In doing so, she moved her chair so it was placed right next to his, their shoulders almost touching. She couldn't see, but Kazuki's cheeks were red. The proximity did wild things to his heart, but it didn't keep him from giving directions calmly and quietly. It was a surprise he was speaking at all.