Chapter 27: Naughty Little Demons

Rei wasn't faring very well without (Y/n) in his arms. He was more than just lonely. It was something that embodied everything he had, including physically, mentally, emotionally, and still further even when he put in the effort not to show it and hold his head up high as he was raised. His somber mood reached out to everyone in the castle, encompassing the regal palace in utter hopelessness. The blonde was in no mood to be king when he didn't have a queen, and anybody could see that.

Most didn't react to the male's mood, far preferring it over him being obsessively possessive over her. When he was like that, only she could get to him, and the male wanted nothing more than to make everyone else's life a painful trial. Then again, others knew that he was just the same otherwise though he was more discreet in the (h/c) haired girl's presence. If he wasn't enamored with her protection, then he would have turned his attention to others, preferably those he deemed made a stain on his or his family's name. It didn't narrow the specified targets down, only prompting large amounts of people to be next on his list.

Then there was another group altogether. Though it was mostly the male's family and those outside the castle, many were worried for him and his health. In fact, his great uncle had suggested that he join him in a chess game to clear his mind. The younger male didn't deny his request, joining him in the man's favorite library, but looked awfully bored while they were engaged in a game of wits.

"Why do you look so down, son?" the man asked, moving forward a rook three spaces, "After you and your father came back from Afrua, you've been in a tireless mood. I should hope he didn't do anything too trying to you."

"Just a dinner," the blonde sighed, his face emotionless and his tone undetectably unenthused, "There's not much to tell."

"So you say."

The man cocked his eyebrow at Rei moving a pawn in a strange way. Although he couldn't quite tell what his move was just yet, he kept observing every move that the younger male made. He could be entirely too crafty and clever for his own good, but he didn't seem to mind, rather savoring the intellectual challenge. There wasn't any doubt that the eldest of Rei's brothers was the best at chess, but the younger male wasn't anything less than perfect in his moves.

"Rei, I've met (Y/n) on more than one occasion," the man continued, giving a sympathetic smile to the younger male, "There are servants in the castle that say she ran away, but I wouldn't listen to them. There is no doubt in my mind that she loves you very much."

"No one was questioning that," the blonde snapped, his brow twitching in irritation, a spark of anger flashing in his violet eyes, challenging the man to say otherwise.

"You often remind me of my oldest cousin, Rei. I've doubt you met him in your lifetime, but you are both men that have a habit of bossing others around. While I'm sure it comes with the territory of being royalty, even distantly, you two never bowed down to anyone."

"Is this an insult?"

"No, silly boy," the man laughed, taking a sip of tea, "My cousin is almost four times your age, around seventy years old and he was bossing everyone around for the longest time. Of course, he was whipped into shape by his wife. I find you to be similar in some ways."

"(Y/n) doesn't make me change," Rei stated quickly, feeling offense at the similarities his great uncle drew.

"That she does not," the man chuckled, moving another chess piece, "She is very sweet, don't get me wrong, but you do change whether she means for you to or not. It's like how my royal tutor used to be. I'd always slouch, you know; didn't have the grace your grandmother had. No, every time I would slouch, snap! I'd get whacked."