Chapter 48: Conflicting Viewpoints

Although he attempted, Kazuki was hardly able to fall asleep. It felt as if he was not only betraying one brother but two. He had already known he did something cruel to Rei, expecting to be confronted sooner or later by the blonde after he realized he'd betrayed him. Then there was Ichiro. The older male hadn't intended on doing something so intrusive to him, but he simply couldn't stay away. If it weren't for his unsuccessful yet focused attempts to give his younger brother what he wanted, then fate certainly wasn't on his side.

The blonde tossed and turned in his bed as he pictured the numerous ways he would be left behind by his family. His mother had already rejected him, and he was certain Rei would kill him for even trying to steal away his beloved. If that were the case, his father would certainly be on the fence about trusting him, and he would have toppled over onto the younger male's side if Kazuki followed after his heart's desires. Ichiro was so close to never returning to greet him home with a hug. It all threatened to come crashing down.

Kazuki had no choice but to retreat into his safe haven. The past was not mutually exclusive to joyful events, filled with more than its fair share of tragedy and pain. However, it held the one person he had loved more than anyone else, and it was the only way he could have seen her again even if it was just a fantasy. The blonde desired something besides pure freezing cold nothingness, only left with one resort to turn to.

. . .

The dirty blonde-haired beauty was weeping uncontrollably at the news of her boyfriend's disappearance. The police had no clues, there were no witnesses, and no evidence. It was all in a day's work for Kazuki, but he couldn't have felt any pity for the male he killed. He was in the way, and he needed him out of the way. It was just unfortunate timing, that was all. In another life, he would have lived.

"Take as much time as you need," the male said; a lie.

Moriko cried so hard she was practically choking on her tears, turning to Kazuki for comfort. He stroked her hair delicately, remiss in the touch of it as if it was precious silk. His cheeks were pink as her head was buried in his neck, allowing him to feel the water she shed. Truth be told, he found it difficult to comfort her when she was so attached to another person; one that was long since gone. He just wanted her to get over it and turn her sights elsewhere, mainly to himself.

Yet she kept crying, weeping, sobbing all in one, mourning the loss of such an average person. Frankly, it infuriated the blonde to no avail. She was practically blind, ignoring the presence of a doting male that would do anything for her. He could give her anything she desired, even be able to make her a queen. Still, she mourned for a fool that couldn't take one bullet for her.

Frustrated, the male gripped the back of the dirty blonde's hair and tugged it almost aggressively, pulling her towards him. He captured her lips as he narrowed his eyes, watching as she reacted. Whether it was good or bad, he couldn't say until she reciprocated the affection, and she did. It was not nearly as quickly as he would have liked, but his features softened as she provided the affection he sought for so long. Yet as quickly as it came, it faded all too soon. She pulled back, giving a concerned expression.

"I-I'm sorry," she mumbled shyly, playing with the hem of her skirt, "but it's way too soon. Right after Kirigaya went missing...it just is so insensitive. I couldn't do that to him. He could come back any time. Maybe this is all a misunderstanding."

"Does it matter?" the blonde asked suddenly, his features contorting again into one of frustration.

"W-What?"

"Even if he does come back, who do you like more?  Me...or him?"

The girl froze for what seemed numerous lifetimes, attempting to both figure out the situation and her feelings on it all in one. However, the blonde would not let her think. He preferred to let his heart do the talking, wanting her to do the same. However, he knew that thinking would have resulted in the same answer. If she wanted to know who could have given her more, it would have been him a hundred times out of ten.