Chapter 6: Lessons

As morning came, (Y/n) opened her eyes to the bright and large master bedroom. To her surprise, Rei was already up, caressing her cheek lovingly while holding her hand to his cheek. His eyes were closed and he had no knowledge the younger girl was already up. The only thing he was focused on doing was leaning into her warmth. He would let out a sigh and then kiss her palm, his smile widening and a tear dripping down his cheek. It was a happy tear, one born from gratitude and great affection, causing the (h/c) haired girl to pause.

She continued to observe him for a longer time than she normally would have, watching his strange behaviors. Despite everything, he seemed genuinely happy and thrilled to wake up next to her every day. Even if she was scared of him, which he despised, and kept her voice to herself, he couldn't have the urge not to be thrilled about his situation. Everything he ever wanted was coming true like a dream or fairy tale.

"I know you're awake, (Y/n)," he said softly, "Do my actions bother you?"

The younger girl shook her head, but she didn't truthfully know if they did or did not. The risk of making Rei angry was too great, however, and she didn't need to start off the day with someone getting hurt. The blonde gave a smile at her response, and stole a quick kiss from her lips, then placing another one on her nose, nuzzling his with hers before pulling away. He seemed excited for the day to come, something that puzzled the (h/c) haired female.

"I've taken the whole day off," the male grinned, letting servants dress him, "I wanted to spend it with you. I have a surprise for you later today, too."

"S-Surprise?" the younger girl repeated, her voice tinged with fear.

"Don't be like that. It's nothing bad...probably."

Although he was teasing, it wasn't very amusing to (Y/n). The things she had seen him do had traumatized her, and she feared he had overheard her conversation with the potential ladies in waiting. If he suspected anything, they would be dealt with and she would be punished for leading them to believe he would hurt something so precious to him. It was simply unthinkable to him and gravely treaded upon his reputation and pride in an unforgivable way.

"Anyway, I still have lessons for you today since you've been off the hook for the last two or three days," the blonde continued, "The schedule?"

"Your highness," the male's assistant bowed, acknowledging his wishes, "Lady (Y/n) will enjoy a strawberry parfait with his highness in bed with waffles, french toast, and pancakes as well as numerous spring fruits. After breakfast, she will attend her singing lessons as well as an additional harp lesson. Then she will have an hour of free time before accompanying his majesty to his surprise for her."

"Lovely," Rei grinned, "It's been too long since I've heard you sing for me."

Without delay, the assistant clapped his hands, summoning some more servants to place bountiful amounts of food on small tables meant to allow for someone to eat in bed. They bowed and exited the room as soon as they could, everyone else following suit. Leaving (Y/n) and Rei to enjoy their seasonal breakfast, they waited outside to adhere to any wish they had. In the process, they were silent, not wanting to disturb the future king and his fascination.

(Y/n) ate slowly, taking a bit of the parfait on a spoon and tasting it. There was no arguing about the quality of both the ingredients or with the care and precision with which it was made. Truly, it was delectable, the (h/c) haired girl letting her guard down at the delicious flavor and freshness. It even seemed like the fruits and yogurt were made in the castle itself, but she hadn't recalled seeing any cows or a garden that grew fruits.

"I take it you're fond of it," Rei smiled, taking the spoon from the younger girl and licking off the bit of yogurt she left on it, "I'd prefer a real kiss, but I guess an indirect one is fine for now. It is early, after all. Wouldn't want to get carried away or anything."