Chapter 35: Red Reflection

When (Y/n) woke up, she was being coddled by Ichiro who was gently stroking her cheek. Although she had little to no recollection of what had happened, her body felt utterly soothed. She let out a small sigh at the tingling in her nerves, but whatever it was that made her body so ecstatic had left. That being said, Ichiro's company helped to place her in a similarly tranquil state.

The younger girl lifted her head, making direct eye contact with the male's cyan eyes. However, she made a visible flinch and the bluenette could see a faint flicker of disappointment in her eyes. His heart constricted in fear and he furrowed his eyebrows, wondering what it was that she didn't like to see in him. He wondered if she would reject him because of that dissatisfaction. If that were true, he would be crushed.

"Did Kazuki come back?"

"Y-Yes," the bluenette stuttered, "but I'm here, too. Would you like to maybe play a game o-or go to the park with me?"

(Y/n) didn't give any sign of a noticeable answer to the older male's question, she just sat up in the bed and stared ahead at a wall. The younger girl then made her way into the living room, finding that Kazuki was sitting down on the couch while enjoying a small slice of burnt toast with jam. He was also focused on the computer in his lap, something it appeared he never went anywhere without.

The (h/c) haired girl didn't say a word, just yawned, and walked over to where the blonde was sitting. When he felt the couch sink slightly from the presence of the female, his head turned to gaze at her. His eyes softened just slightly at the realization that she was perfectly alright, and he placed down the computer on the coffee table. A smile graced his features as he chuckled slightly at the girl's tired state, and he began to start up a friendly conversation.

"How was your sleep? You were knocked out pretty hard last I saw you. I hope you don't have a headache?"

"I just wanted to apologize. I-I was acting strangely to you the day before and I'm really very sorry. I just...wanted someone to be with me. I didn't know that I might bring up painful memories."

Kazuki nearly choked on his toast, coughing almost violently and pounding his chest to dislodge the bread. When he recovered from his body's fit, he sat up straight and proceeded to give the girl next to him a curious and concerned look that radiated uncertainty. As the younger girl didn't make a move to do or say anything of importance, the blonde then looked to the side before biting down on his lip, releasing it when he spoke.

"Did Ichiro tell you that?" he asked quietly, his voice softer than she'd ever heard it.

"About your fianceé," the younger girl clarified, a remorseful frown on her face as she pulled her knees into her chest, "I'm sorry."

"It was for the best," the male replied, his voice dark and dreading, sending shivers up the female's spine.

There was a silence that surrounded the air, one uncertain and despairing, filled with both misery and some kind of hatred. At the same time, it was only directed at one person, and the blonde was relentless with his blaming. That being said, he didn't say a word, simply paying remarkable attention to his folded hands laying in his lap all the while he waited for her to leave the room. It was regrettably uncomfortable to him.

Both the male and female remained in silence, only the sound of one of them moving being audible. One of them had a frown on, not bothering to appear joyful to the one next to them. In fact, he was less concerned about his appearance to her due to the fact that he was lost in his own mind. Memories that circled up prompted him to be highly concentrated on matters that didn't concern anyone at that given point in time. And yet, to him, it was everything. Still, romance was a fickle thing.