Chapter 37: A Lovely Dinner With A Lovely Girl

(Y/n) had been left in Kazuki's care while Ichiro was off with his photoshoot. Although she had expected it to be largely boring, it was anything but. The blonde was rather good company, especially when it came to him being distantly affectionate. He would not make a move to touch the younger girl, adverse to snuggling or being too close to one another. However, he was exceptionally good at conversation, she was beginning to learn.

The male had been working, that much was true. In fact, he had a larger pile of work than she believed was fair. Still, he assured her it was beginning to get smaller, and that he would have time to do more during the day. She had remarked that Ichiro would be glad, prompting the blonde to smile. It was indeed true that the bluenette would be thrilled over the free time he could spend with him.

When Kazuki had done as much work as he could get done, he put aside projects with later deadlines to go out to eat with the younger girl. Although he would have liked for her to cook, having been spoiled on the Vethelan taste, he was far too bashful to ever ask such a thing of her. Perhaps if he gained a little more self-confidence, he would have realized that it would have been a compliment to ask for her to cook. Still, as he was at that point in time, he was more concerned with holding an approachable relationship with her.

The restaurant that he had driven her to was one he assured her had a limited number of people in the afternoon. She cowered and declined at first, but he was oddly persuasive, his words holding significant sway over her. Thus, she wound up accepting his option to eat out with him, not that she spoke much. The female was more concerned over who wanted to hurt her and did all she could to avoid being near other people.

Such a thing made Kazuki's cheeks turn red, the male rubbing the back of his neck as she clung to his arm. He understood she wanted protection and he was more than willing to give it to her. It was just that the attention it drew made him quite embarrassed. Nonetheless, he allowed (Y/n) to do whatever she pleased as long as it helped her remain calm in some shape or form. The feeling of being useful never seemed to elude him when he was with her. At the very least, it was reassuring for him.

As the male walked the younger girl into the restaurant, away from the busy streets of the shopping district, he motioned that everything was safe. She took everything into account, observing it from a distance while maintaining the need for details. Sighing, she realized that the blonde was correct. There were few patrons in the restaurant, and she felt relieved as though a weight had been lifted off of her shoulders.

"I'm sorry," the (h/c) haired girl stuttered, grabbing the hem of her dress as she blushed, "I'm like a child sometimes, aren't I? I didn't even think about how you would feel."

"I think that's for the best," the blonde smiled, tilting his head to the left, "Besides, I don't mind too much if it helps soothe your fears. I'm only a little embarrassed by the people looking at us."

(Y/n) nodded her head, strongly agreeing with what the older male had said. It seemed they were both reluctant to be around other people, wanting nothing more than to stay in the comfort of the penthouse. There, they were thirty floors above the people on the streets, safe and sound from any harm or humiliation. And yet, they found some kind of comfort with one another while in different forms.

The younger girl obviously found relief in the fact that Kazuki was quite tall and slightly intimidating. Such a thing was useful in feeling safe around people she didn't know. Another thing that made her quite attached to him was the sound of his voice. It was calm, patient, and yet calculated in a soothing way. His air of maturity was one thing he had in common with Rei, though the latter was only so when in the midst of protecting her from threats.

Kazuki was far more skeptical of his relationship with the (h/c) haired girl. She was sweet and pleasing to the eyes and ears, he knew that, but if it were only that, he wouldn't care nearly as much. It was the fact that she had a use for him besides his purse strings. She relied on him for conversation and companionship, but also for protection. Timid and shy while stubborn and intellectually challenging, she was a rare treasure to enjoy the company of.