36

the next day already in detention, ron walked in a few minutes late looking very flustered.

"sorry professor, i had something i needed to... deal with." he sent a toothy smile briar's way before sitting down next to her. causing her to instantly give it back.

after about thirty minutes of writing lines saying 'i will not disturb professor snape's class' a slytherin burst through the doors with his hair disheveled. "professor, peeves is down in the common room. he won't stop throwing things around and stealing things from students."

snape gave them the same rules as yesterday before he left and went out the door.

"you did it? you got peeves to go down to the common room even though you didn't win?"

he just shrugged, "yeah, figured i shouldn't let that opportunity go to waste. besides, now we can talk."

briar pulled out her wand and did a spell to make her words repeat themselves about 100 times.

"i thought you didn't want to cheat in detention?" ron questioned. "i didn't," she answered "but after all those cauldrons yesterday i'm not writing 100 lines."

she did the same to ron's paper letting them relax.

they played little hand games and talked about nonsense.

when it got to ten o'clock they gathered up their stuff, leaving their lines on snape's desk before leaving.

~

"so ickle ronniekins told us about your plan." fred sat down next to briar. "and of course we are going to help." george sat on her other side.

"ok, so we were thinking of giving you a bomb to drop in potions." george continued.

"WHAT?!" she screeched.

"nooo no, not a real bomb-" george started soon getting cut off by fred, "-one that will explode dye in the room. it will be enough to make everyone have to evacuate, and should keep snape's classroom a nice blue tint for a little while."

"no! make it red." ron chimed in, "it's more prominent and will probably be harder to get off."

"since when did you get all interested in the color red?" george asked looking over to fred with a smile on his face. "looks like ronnie has found himself a passion." fred chuckled.

"whatever," briar interrupted "that sounds great. but what if we get caught?"

"ah don't worry about that-" fred answered.

"-we will charm whatever we put the dye in to disappear." george went on to say.

"if anything, snape will probably think it was peeves somehow."

"ok, yeah, that's smart. when should we do it?" she looked to them nervously.

"tomorrow, georgie and me still have to get it ready."

briar nodded before turning back to her breakfast.

~

the next day ron and her had potions as their last class. fred and george gave them a ball filled with the dye that had a timer on it. it would count down from a minute until the dye would explode all over the room.

as they walked to potions ron started conversation, "so, what did snape make you do last night for your detention?"

"oh just the usual you know... making me arrange then rearrange, clean, then test, and then rearrange different potions he mixed up together for me. it was repetitive to say the least." she rolled her eyes.

by the time she was done her tiny rant, they had entered the dungeons.

"you have it right?" she whispered. he nodded in response subtly taking it out of his pocket to show her.

it was about less than halfway through class when ron turned to briar, "alright, i think we should do it now."

"wait ron," she paused looking up to see if snape had noticed them talking "i wanna do it."

"wow those three detentions have really changed you, a full on delinquent i would say." he mocked.

"oh whatever, now give me it."

he handed to her under the table slowly making sure not to drop it.

briar looked for a clear shot to roll it across the floor before starting the timer, and rolling it towards snape's desk.

after a few seconds of rolling, and praying no one noticed the ball gliding across the floor. red slowly started to cover up the room. briar and ron kept their heads down trying not to smile as lavender brown shot up screaming, "professor snape! i'm turning red!" just after she finished her sentence the rest of the dye shot like a bullet from the ground, covering every inch of the room. but mostly snape, since he was right next to the colored bomb. he ushered everyone out of the dungeons and up into the halls of the castle.

"don't move a muscle." snape spat at the students.

once snape went back down to his classroom to try and stop whatever just happened, students started laughing and looking around to see who the culprit was.

"oh ron, you look a little red there." briar teased brushing off his robe.

he started to blush profusely at the tiniest bit of touch from her, but was thankful the dye would cover it up.

the laughing instantly stopped as snape rushed back towards the kids, "which one of you did this?"

everyone stayed silent, some covering their mouths to hide their smirk.

seeing as though no one came forward and class was over, ron and briar ran back to the common room to wash up.

at dinner they had told the twins all about what happened. the twins smiling happily to each other knowing their invention had worked.

"how did you get that to work so well if you had only just made it?" briar questioned.

"oh, you know. beginners luck. right georgie?" fred snickered to george, "oh absolutely freddie. beginners luck." they were too lost in their own jokes that they didn't even notice how blatantly obvious they were being. 

"right... well, i'm finished. got to go get ready for my detention." she said sarcastically acting excited.

"i'll come back with you." ron blurted out.

when they reached the common room briar sat on the sofa for the remaining time she had.

"just today and tomorrow and i'll be all done with bloody detention." she sighed greatfully.

"yeah." ron chuckled nervously.

"ron, are you alright? you seem a little nervous."

"me? oh no, i'm great. just wondering what fred and george meant about their invention earlier at dinner." he trailed off his sentence at the end trying to remember to tell harry when he got back from the meal.

briar started to go on about a new book she was reading. ron, was trying to listen but was also focused on how her hands were moving as she was trying to explain the plot of the story so far. once she put her hands down insinuating she was done talking he looked back up to her.

"you got a little red right," he slowly lifted his thumb to her cheekbone swiftly swiping away the last of the remaining color on her skin, "there."

they stayed a second looking into each other's eyes until briar blinked herself back to reality. "i um- i really must go, for you know... detention." she coughed while stumbling slightly to stand up.

"of course." ron started, "have fun."

he watched her walk out the portrait door whispering to herself.