CH 1.1 The Future

Thirteen years later, the still small and scrawny Steve Rogers sat alone in a theater as a video about the ongoing world war plays before the movie...

"Who fuckin' cares!?" A man in the audience shouted abruptly, disrupting the moment of silence.

"Hey, wanna show a little respect?" Steve replied in a raised frustrated tone.

"Just start the cartoon!" The man yelled again. Steve had enough.

"Hey! Wanna shut up?!" Steve spun around, angered by the man's lack of respect. "They're fighting for you, useless."

The man, glaring a hole through Steve, slowly stood and walked to the side of Steve's chair.

Steve slammed into the concrete of the alley out the side of the theater. He pushed his coat off his head and stood up directly into a right hand from yet another bully in his life.

Rogers, once more, clambered to his feet and brought his fists up in defense.

"Don't know when you quit do you, punk?" The towering figure kicked Steve in the small of his back, sending him rolling into a gathering of garbage bins.

Steve, ever brave and resourceful, snagged the lid of one of the bins and held it up as a shield. Blood trickled out of his nose and off his forehead as his concrete scraped palms gripped his protection.

"I can do this all day."

Another hit sent Steve tumbling over again.

"Hey!" "Asshole!"

Two familiar voices shouting from the alley entrance pulled a smile out of Steve.

Two uniformed men slowly walked between the buildings. One lingered behind and leaned against the left wall.

"Pick on someone your own size!" The shorter, black haired, and handsome Bucky stormed forward, grabbed the bully by the collar and slung him down the alley. "Be a dear and take the trash out" He grumbled over his shoulder.

"I thought you'd never ask." The taller and equally handsome figure snagged the bully by the arm. He clocked the man in the jaw with his fist and elbow in a blink and shoved him away. "Get out of my sight" Andrew growled, kicking the man in the rear end as he stumbled out of the alley.

Andrew smirked momentarily and joined his pals.

Steve looked up to see Bucky in full military uniform standing in front of him. Bucky leaned over and offered his hand to help Steve to his feet. Steve stood up to see Andrew walking toward him also dressed in his full uniform.

"Sometimes I think you like getting punched" Bucky sighed.

"We won't see you any differently if you do. I'm sure lots of people are into that sort of thing" Andrew said in his infamous sarcastic tone.

"I had him on the ropes, fellas" Steve muttered, wiping the blood off his lip.

"You always do, Stevie" Andrew groaned as Bucky bent over to pick up a piece of paper Steve had dropped in the fight.

"How many times is this? Bucky asked, flicking the paper back over to Steve.

"Ah! Your from Paramus now" Andrew said looking at the form over Bucky's shoulder.

"You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form" Bucky spoke disappointedly.

"And seriously? Jersey?" Andrew added. "Gross."

"You get your orders? Steve questioned, ignoring their comments.

"The 107th" Bucky said proudly "Sergeant James Barnes and Sergeant Andrew Williams, shipping out for england first thing tomorrow."

"I should be going with you guys" Steve huffed disappointedly.

"Don't start with that." Andrew said putting his arm around Steve. "One last night. Just the three of us. For old times sake. We gotta get you cleaned up though. I'm not going anywhere with you if you look like that" Andrew said with a smile.

"Why? where we going?" Steve replied.

"Like the genius is always saying" Bucky handed Steve a newspaper advertising the lucrative 'Stark Expo' as they all walked out of the alley. "The future..."