CH 3.3 The Woman

An unfamiliar muscular woman dressed in lightweight golden battle armor gazed off a cliff at gorgeous almost clear blue water and the islands scattered within the water hundreds of feet below her. Her black hair blowing gently in the breeze. She looked down at her hands in bewilderment, surprised by something before clenching them into fists. Her arm muscles tensed as she inhaled deeply and relaxed in unison with her exhale. The woman closed her eyes and turned her face to the sky, trying to calm her mind, an unfamiliar warbling and a gnawing buzz snapped her from her tranquil state. The woman opened her eyes to see a small shape hurtling toward the crystal waters with strange smoke trailing behind it. The shape slammed into the water with a massive splash, sending water flying into the air.

In a split second, the woman knew she needed to investigate. She took a few steps backward and ran to the edge of the cliff, launching herself off the land without hesitation and soaring an inhuman distance before diving into the spotless water in search of what or who had crashed near her home.

The woman expertly dove beneath the surface of the water and wrapped an arm around the unconscious body. She effortlessly pulled the heavy body that had crashed into the water to the surface. She made sure to keep it above the water as she skillfully swam to the sandy shore below the massive cliffs.

She gently rested the body on the solid ground. The woman carefully ripped off the helmet covering the body's head after it continued to be unresponsive.

The woman's eyes widened and a massive smile slowly grew across her face. A man? Here? She'd never seen one before. He was...captivating. She tenderly reached a hand out to touch his cheek and feel the rough stubble across his face...how strange.

Andrew's eyes opened and he coughed up a worrisome amount of water. It wasn't his first near drowning, he'd survive. His eyes squinted as the bright sun prevented him from seeing what was hovering over him. Andrew was shocked. How did she save him with such ease? She hadn't even broken a sweat!

"Wow" Andrew half chuckled, surprised by the woman both in looks and strength.

The woman moved away to allow him room to sit up, taken aback by the depth of his voice. It had so many layers...fascinating.

"H-How did you..?" Andrew sputtered, staring at the woman that had saved him.

"You are a...man?" She asked a question of her own in a beautiful accent Andrew somehow hadn't heard before.

"Last time I checked?" Andrew's brow furrowed, not seeing how that could be relevant. "Where-- Where am I?"

"You are on Themyscira" She replied matter-of-factly.

"Okay, cool" Andrew sighed, still breathing heavily. "I have no idea where that is."

"Who are you?" The woman questioned curiously, wanting to know more about the strange man.

The same sound that Andrew's body made as it burst into the woman's view interrupted the conversation. She whirled her head around and Andrew poked his eyes around her shoulder from his horizontal position in the sand. The sound of metal crunching together echoed off the cliffs behind the confused and soaked pair on the beach.

Andrew was still recovering and slightly woozy but he'd know those ships anywhere...and he'd never forget the symbols on the sides. His eyes widened and confusion overtook his mind.