CH 1.15 The Valkyrie

The next morning, Steve rode the motorcycle Howard had built for him toward Schmidt's base at full speed. He swerved through the trees and reached a road that led to the base. Soon six Hydra soldiers driving their own motorcycles came up behind Steve on the road. They began firing their high-powered weapons at Steve.

'What is powering these things?' Steve thought to himself as he felt several of the projectiles hit his shield on his back. 'Alright Howard, let's see what you've done.'

Steve looked down at a panel of buttons on the handlebars of the vehicle and pushed the first button. A tripwire shot out of the back of the motorcycle and attached itself to the two nearby trees. The first four Hydra soldiers ducked under the wire but the final two were not as vigilant.

'Four to go' Steve thought to himself. 'Let's see what this button does.'

Steve pushed the second button and fire erupted from the rear motorcycle. Two of the soldiers and their vehicles were set ablaze.

The final two soldiers went around the fire and ended up ahead of Steve. Steve quickly caught up to them, reached into one of the soldier's bags, and pulled the pin on a grenade.

"Scheiße!" one of the soldiers yelled as Steve left them in the dust and heard them explode a few seconds later.

Steve had reached the entrance to the base, unfortunately, the entrance was guarded by a large tank blocking the way through. Steve flipped his shield off his back and set it between the handlebars in front of him for protection.

'Howard, please tell me the red button explodes things' Steve thought as he pushed the red button. Suddenly two missiles flew out of the front of Steve's bike toward the tank. The missiles hit the tank and exploded it. Steve used one of the concrete barricades as a ramp and flew into the base.

Steve dodged Hydra's attacks as he drove through the base until he spotted the main door. Steve pushed the one button Howard had told him the function of and leapt off the bike, sending it toward the sealed door. Steve fought the Hydra soldiers that were protecting the courtyard. Steve's bike reached the sealed door and imploded, creating a large hole in the door. Steve began fighting his way towards the opening and was a few feet from the door. Two large soldiers cornered Steve and trapped him with the flamethrowers strapped to each of their hands. Suddenly, fifty soldiers surrounded Steve. Steve lowered his shield and surrendered, knowing he was outnumbered. Hydra escorted Steve into Schmidt's weapon lab.

"Arrogance may not be a uniquely American trait, but I must say you do it better than anyone" Schmidt said as Steve entered the room. "But there are limits to what even you can do, Captain. Or did Erskine tell you otherwise?"

"He told me you were insane" Steve hissed, being held back by two men. He wanted to get his hands on Schmidt more than anything.

"He resented my genius and tried to deny me what was rightfully mine. But he gave you everything. So, what made you so special?" Schmidt asked.

"Nothin' " Steve answered with a smirk. "I'm just a kid from Brooklyn."

Steve's remark angered Schmidt and he punched Steve, knocking him down to his knees.

Steve spit blood and glanced up at the red skull of Schmidt. "I can do this all day."

"Naturally" Schmidt scowled. "But unfortunately, I am on a tight schedule." Schmidt answered as he pulled out his pistol and aimed it at Steve's head.

The sound of something hitting the rock above the room's large windows caused Schmidt and Hydra to turn their attention to the windows.

"So am I" Steve growled as Andrew and the team came crashing through the windows. Schmidt fired his weapon but Steve blocked the bullet with one of the men that had been holding him down. The man screamed as his body disintegrated in blue energy.