CH 3.6 The Consequences

"How is he?"

"Not good."

"Give me a real diagnosis, Hank."

"He might not pull this one off. It's going to be close."

"What can I do?"

"Nothing."

"You can't call me across the country and tell me there's nothing to be done."

"That's exactly what I'm telling you. At this point, there's little even I can do."

"And the hospital--"

"Do you know any doctors that specialize in quantum energy overexposure? I don't know shit about this...but we're all he's got. I'm his best shot. I got him into this mess...I'll get him out."

"You had better."

Hank Pym left the room. He needed to think.

Peggy Carter stepped closer to the bed in the spare room of the Pym house. She couldn't believe it. He was back. For the umpteenth time...Andrew had found his way back to her.

Peggy walked to the edge of the bed and reached her hand down. The tips of her painted-red fingertips touched his arm. A small gasp shot out from Peggy. Hank wasn't exaggerating about his temperature. A small tear puddled in her eye. He was really here. Peggy leaned down and braved the heat to kiss his forehead...

"Have you called anyone else?"

"No, ma'am."

"Good. You're terrible at giving any sort of news."

Hank sighed. "Who did you call?

"Everyone that deserved to know."

"What'd they all say?"

"That best friend of his replied, and I quote, 'I knew that bastard wasn't fucking dead.'"

"I don't think I've ever heard you speak that way" Hank snickered. Peggy smirked.

"Re--"

A knock on the door interrupted them. Hank walked to the door and opened it.

"May I hel--"

"Where?" A female voice demanded.

"I--"

"Where the hell is he?!"

"Right this way" Peggy pushed Hank out of the way.

A minute later, Rebecca Black stood motionless in the spare bedroom doorway. She walked to him and grabbed his hand, unbothered by the heat...she was too focused to notice.

Rebecca leaned close to him. "Don't ever do that to me again." She reached over and flicked the side of his head. "You are the worst."

She pivoted and walked out of the room. Rebecca hurriedly asked Hank to use the bathroom and rushed into it. She shut the door and locked it. Rebecca placed her hands on the sides of the sink and leaned over it, trying to regulate her breathing. She glanced up and looked at herself in the mirror. Tears burst from her eyes and she crumpled to her knees. She backed up against the wall of the bathroom and curled her legs up to her torso. Rebecca wrapped her arms around her shins and rested her head against her knees as she cried...

"Listen, you stubborn asshole...get the hell up. I don't know what the hell you were doin' but it took way too long. Something's coming...something bad and I'm gonna need you for it."

Peggy opened the door and walked in. A yelp snuck out after being startled. "Marc?"

"Yeah?"

"How did you get inside the house...?"