CH 3.9 - The Tiger

It had been six months since Jessica and Andrew arrived back home. Spider-Woman had become a local legend. She could be seen nearly every night doing something beneficial for the area. However, her emergence as yet another vigilante sparked a conversation about the safety and legality of such individuals. Jessica's constant vigilance had been extremely beneficial for Andrew and his health. Jessica was highly skilled and nearly unbeatable against the common thug, which allowed Andrew time to train Rebecca and nurture what he hoped might be a relationship with Lareina. He'd told her about Carol and his struggles with moving on. She'd heard about Maria and Monica, Hope, Peggy and Sharon, as well as Hank and Janet.

Perhaps most important was the night Andrew had stood outside her door in fear with a bag in his hand. Lareina opened the door and Andrew swallowed nervously. A rigid metallic helmet emerged from the bag.

"I made a mistake with Carol" He'd spoken somberly. "I didn't tell her until it was too late. I won't make that mistake again...not with you."

She'd taken a few minutes and needed to sit down purely from the shock, but eventually, Lareina concluded that she liked the man she saw before her. Knowing his secret hadn't changed anything for her. Maybe it should. Maybe she should've slammed that door in his face. That was probably the smart thing to do. It was a thought she'd wrestled with for these last few months.

Rebecca had become a permanent resident of Andrew's spare room and completely turned it into her haven. Andrew had given her any money she'd needed for her room, quality of life, school, clothes, anything. She felt that he cared deeply for her. It was a nice feeling. It had been far too long since she'd felt taken care of. Her days consisted of school, sleep, tinkering, and training. She liked it that way.

Peggy's life had become much easier with Hydra withering away. Hank had borrowed a tiny little loan of several million dollars and received double what he asked for to start Pym Technologies. Construction was moving shockingly quickly thanks to innumerable ant workers. Maria and Andrew messaged daily and he'd flown down to Louisiana a few months ago for Monica's birthday.

In short, things were going well and they had been for longer than Andrew could remember.

"You need to come eat" Lareina sighed as she swung open the door to the home gym where Rebecca was trying for a new personal best on the pull-up bar.

"If I think about food...I'll throw up" Rebecca spoke through gritted teeth as she strained her body.

"Please do not" Andrew grimaced, not wanting his gym wall repainted the color of Rebecca's insides. "Two more" he called out.

"Fuckfuckfuckfuck" Rebecca murmured as her muscles burned in agony.

"What is fun about this?" Lareina questioned from the doorway.

"One!"

Rebecca gathered every last ounce of strength she had left and finished one last pull-up before dropping from the bar with a triumphant yell. A loud high-five echoed off the walls.

"That doesn't get you excited?!" Andrew turned to Lareina, who rolled her eyes with a smile and left down the hall. "She's thrilled!"

"Holy shit" Rebecca smiled.

"Nice job, kiddo" Andrew ruffled Rebecca's sweaty hair, scrunched his face in disgust and wiped his hand on his pant leg.

"Thanks" Rebecca spoke between profuse gulps of water.

"Hungry?"

"Starving!"

After a hearty meal that Rebecca ate like a bear fresh out of hibernation, Lareina left for work, leaving the duo alone...a dangerous state of being for them.