CH 1.13 The Tank

It had been about six months since Steve, Andrew, and Bucky had left with the Howling Commandos to attack Hyrda. They had taken out five of the bases with ease and become an elite brotherhood. Bucky had emerged as an incredible sniper, capable of things the rest could only dream of. Steve had become an icon in the eyes of every Ally nation. He was a symbol for good. For everything people were fighting for. Unfortunately, being a force for hope caused Steve to become less than terrifying. That was where Andrew came in handy. Not so peaceful horror stories of "The Peacekeeper" had spread through the Axis armies, from soldiers being burned alive to how far he could throw an adult man. Some of the stories they told weren't even true, but the detail that scared them the most was that no one had ever seen his face. In any pictures taken Andrew would always have his helmet closed, even if it was just a picture of the team. After she noticed how scared Hyrda was, Peggy started redacting Andrew's face from everything. From time to time, Andrew would leave in the night while the other commandos were sleeping and travel to an enemy camp. Concentration, storage, a few scouts making a place to sleep. Andrew didn't care. He couldn't sleep knowing he was that close to people that needed help. Help being freed from unrightful imprisonment or help being escorted to the gates of hell ahead of schedule...he was unbiased. They had traveled to the final Hydra base they intel on. A quaint excursion to Northeastern Germany in search of the location of the Hydra headquarters.

The team walked through a snow-covered forest toward the Hyrda facility. Everyone was on edge-- more than usual. This was the last Hyrda base so it would be heavily guarded and they were on their home turf, an ambush was to be expected. Andrew was walking next to Steve in front of the soldiers and was listening carefully for any signs of Hydra. Suddenly, he could hear two unfamiliar nervous heartbeats, Andrew decided to ask how he could now hear heartbeats later and take them out now.

"Steve, there are two Hydra soldiers in trees...one at our seven and one at our two" Andrew whispered seriously. "When I make a move on the one in front of us, you throw your oversized frisbee at the one behind us."

"Ready when you are" Steve replied, nonchalantly readying himself. Strangely, although Andrew had kept his voice down, Logan also looked up to the trees with a curled lip.

They got closer to the tree the soldier ahead of them was in and Andrew heard his heartrate rise. Andrew smirked at his fear before sprinting over to the tree. As soon as Andrew starting running, Steve whirled around and hurled his shield at the soldier behind them. Steve's shield hit the soldier knocking him out of his tree as Andrew jumped on the tree ahead of him, kicked off of it, grabbed the soldier's leg, slammed him to the ground, and hit him once in the head for good measure.

"Nice work, Ste-" Andrew started to say as he turned around to see the whole team, including Steve, staring at him. "How long is it going to be until you guys stop getting freaked out by this stuff?"

"I ain't ever gettin' used to that" Morita said with a sigh as the team starting walking again.

"I've seen better" Logan growled to himself.

"How did you even know they were up there?" Steve asked Andrew confused.

"I heard 'em" Andrew replied.

"How?" Steve questioned.

"Heartbeat" Andrew explained.

"That's awesome!" Steve exclaimed making Andrew chuckle. "Wait, can you hear my heartbeat?"

"No- well I could I guess but I'd have to focus really hard on it" Andrew replied with a shrug.

"That's probably best, it would be overwhelming to hear everyone's heartbeat constantly." Steve rubbed the back of his neck with a smile.