CH 2.7 The Recovery

Another three days later, Peggy had sat in Andrew's room all day and was fighting the urge to fall asleep. She yawned and squeezed Andrew's hand. She cut off her yawn prematurely and her eyes widened when she thought she felt Andrew's fingers move. She watched him for a few seconds but he didn't move.

"I need sleep...I'm starting to go crazy" Peggy said to herself. She stood up and walked over to where she had placed her purse. She grabbed it and began walking toward the exit.

As Peggy walked in front of his bed, Andrew's eyes snapped open and he sharply inhaled as he shot up in the bed.

"Andrew!" Peggy yelled dropping her purse and running over to him. "You're okay, you're safe...you're at Shield with Peggy."

Andrew groaned in pain and leaned back when the pain in his body reminded him he was hurt. Peggy leaned over and kissed his temple with tears falling down her cheeks.

"Who's Peggy?" Andrew asked with a blank expression.

"W-What?" Peggy asked with a sniffle.

Andrew looked at her for a few seconds before a laugh forced its way out. "I'm just kiddin'...I'm sorry that was mean."

"It was mean!" Peggy replied with a smile knowing that if Andrew was making jokes he was still himself. "But, it's hard to be mad at you right now."

"How long was I out?"

"A week...Hope came to visit" Peggy responded, gesturing to the stuffed bee by Andrew's arm.

"Aww, so thoughtful" Andrew said happily as he gently squeezed the bee.

He looked over at Peggy and saw her shuffling restlessly.

"You okay?"

"Truthfully, I'd like to pick you up and hug you so hard your sides ache, but I physically can't do that and I don't want to hurt you" Peggy replied with a sigh.

Andrew winced as he moved over on the bed. He smiled and tapped the spot next to him with his hand.

"I...don't understand" Peggy lied.

"Lay down and hug away, doofus" Andrew answered with a smile and an eye roll.

Peggy smiled as she happily but carefully crawled into the bed and laid next to Andrew. She stretched her arm across his chest and he put his arm around her. Peggy sighed deeply as Andrew played with her hair.

"Why didn't I heal?" Andrew asked.

"Even your abilities have limits, Andrew. Hank and Janet found you outside the warehouse in a puddle of your own blood and you stopped breathing on more than one occasion in the helicopter." Peggy replied as tears stung at her eyes again. "When you arrived, they tried to save you but y-you died and I lost you...again."

"I'm sorry, Peg"

"The doctors tried to revive you but it didn't work. A few seconds later your heart started beating again. They said you willed yourself back to life."

"I have a lot to live for" Andrew replied, softly rubbing Peggy's shoulder.

Peggy turned her head up and looked at him. Andrew smiled down at her. They sat in silence for a few seconds and locked eyes.

"Well, after the beating you took, I too am surprised you're alive" Peggy joked with a smirk.

"Wow!" Andrew said throwing his head back in shock.

"I'm sorry" Peggy apologized while laughing. "I had to get you back for scaring me earlier" she said, plopping her hand down on his chest.

"Fair enough, but you should see the other guy!" Andrew rebutted, attempting to salvage a shred of his dignity.