CH 2.33 The Ultimatum

Andrew had to think rationally. He couldn't be in two places at once, nobody could. He was in New York, a few minutes from Peggy but hours from Carol. If he left now, by the time he got to Carol she'd either be stabilized, awake, or dead. However, he could get to Peggy before the dice rolled...

Andrew burst through Peggy's door and tears immediately formed in his eyes. He was too late. Why couldn't he have been just a little faster?

"And where have you been?" Peggy look over at him endearingly and flashed him the same happy grin he'd seen for years.

"Holy shit" Andrew fell to his knees at the side of Peggy's bed so their faces were almost level.

"Such foul language" Peggy coughed out a chuckle.

"Just rest, Peg" Andrew held her arm tightly as tears dropped off his chin.

"Oh, yes, I'm very busy working on my full recovery. I'm going to need my beauty sleep" Peggy responded with her eyes closed and a smile across her face.

"God, I missed you" Andrew sighed, but the emotional battle was only half over. Carol's status was still unknown and it was eating him alive. Andrew pulled Peggy's hand up gently and softly kissed it.

"Ooo, I should nearly die more often" Peggy giggled.

"Never again, you hear me?" Andrew insisted firmly.

"Mm-hm."

"I'm serious."

"I know you are, darling. How is everyone? Clearly, the mission was a success."

"Kinda" Andrew sighed defeatedly. "Janet...didn't come home."

"No" Peggy murmured. "Oh god...Hope? Hank?" She asked as a tear trickled down her cheek. She had loved Janet, almost like a younger sister.

"I haven't seen Hank and I've been taking care of Hope."

"By yourself?" Peggy smirked.

"The best I can. I could really use your help when you get better."

"Oh, I don't think that's necessary."

"I do!" Andrew laughed.

"Have you talked to Sharon?"

"To tell her that her beloved aunt got shot? No, Peg, I haven't" he sighed. "I figure it'll be one of your badass stories."

The two sat in silence for a moment. Carol clouding Andrew's mind as he held Peggy's arm close.

"Thank you, Peggy" Andrew mumbled as he stood up and gently kissed Peggy's forehead.

"For what?" She smiled softly.

"For not leaving me."

"Oh, Andrew" Peggy opened her eyes to gaze into his. "I'm not going anywhere...not anytime soon."

Andrew smiled before his walls collapsed and he broke down next to Peggy.

"What is it?" Peggy asked softly, straining to move her hand to his face lovingly.

"C-Carol" Andrew spoke through tears. "She's in the h-hospital in LA. I d-don't know if s-she's okay."

"Andrew...what on earth are you still doing here?" Peggy questioned gently. "You need to go. Go be with her."

"But y-you and Hope--"

"Will be fine. I will call the house later and talk to Hope."

"Peggy, I can't ask you to do that."