CH 2.24 The Good Kind of Different

Monica screamed and stood up in her bed with her hands wrapped around the sides. Her eyes widened and she smiled as she anticipated someone coming to release her from the captivity of her solitary bed. Monica eagerly bounced up and down and squealed for good measure.

Monica's door slowly opened and Andrew stepped into her room. Monica giggled happily.

"You gotta be quiet, sweetpea" Andrew whispered as he scooped her up. "Momma has to work in a few hours."

Monica yawned and snuggled into Andrew's arm.

"See you're tired...why are you up?"

Andrew walked to the kitchen to get an extremely early breakfast.

"You waaant...toast?" Andrew asked Monica and poked her tummy.

"To..ast" Monica replied slowly.

"Good job!" Andrew exclaimed quietly. "Can you say please?"

"Peez?"

"I'll accept that" Andrew snickered and set the center of his world down on the floor so she could get into whatever mischief she wanted while he made her breakfast.

A few minutes later, Andrew walked into the living room and gave Monica her toast. She sat down on the floor and started to eat.

"E..V?" Monica asked Andrew softly.

"TV?" Andrew smiled. "It's a 'T' baby."

Monica wobbled to her feet and grabbed the remote. She walked over to Andrew with the remote outstretched toward him.

"Oh, c'mon" Andrew chuckled. "You're a big girl, you can do it."

Andrew lifted Monica up so she could sit on his knee.

"How did you get so much butter on your hands?" Andrew sighed. "Here, it's the red button" he instructed and pointed to the power button on the remote.

Monica used both pointer fingers to push down the button and the television flickered on. Monica giggled, proud of herself, and turned her focus back to her toast.

After a while, Maria walked out all ready for work. She greeted Andrew and stole Monica before heading into the kitchen.

"I told you that you don't have to do this" Maria smiled thankfully as she looked over the breakfast Andrew had made for her.

"I like making your life easier" Andrew grinned and joined her in the kitchen. "Plus, it was all Monica" he joked.

"Thank you..." Maria muttered as she stood in front of Andrew. She looked into his eyes as if she was making a last-minute decision that she was still unsure of. "...very much" she continued and softly kissed Andrew's cheek. Andrew felt his breath hitch.

"My pleasure" he replied quietly...

Hours later, it was almost time for Maria to get home and Monica was getting tired so Andrew prepared her for a nap.

"Ducky or moose?" Andrew questioned Monica on her preference for stuffed animal that day.

"Oose" Monica replied softly. Maria and Andrew had put Monica through the speech training wringer, but it was working.

"There's an 'M' there but that'll do" Andrew giggled to himself and scooped Monica's blanket up. He set Monica in her bed and kissed her head.

Andrew turned to leave but stopped when he heard Monica's classic whimper. He grimaced and kept walking.