CH 3.2 The Experiment

Hank Pym busily tinkered away at a massive machine in his basement that doubled as an at-home laboratory. It had been a month since Hank left Shield and he, with Andrew's help, had been working on the devices necessary for getting Janet Van Dyne back non-stop for the past thirty days. Andrew welcomed the chance to get away from California and back home to New York. Hank had become one of the few people aware of Carol's passing and shared some of his experience with tragically losing a partner you loved more than anything. The only people Andrew had a true connection to over the last weeks were Hank and Hope. Having Andrew over every day for a month was like a dream come true to Hope, although things were different than before...

"Hey, honeybee" Andrew kissed Hope's head as he walked behind her seat at the table to get to the fridge.

"Morning" Hope smiled softly and shoveled more cereal into her mouth.

"Good morning" Hank touched Hope's shoulder as he too walked behind her chair to get to his chair.

"This is weird" Hope laughed to herself.

"What is?" Andrew and Hank asked together.

"It's like I have two dads" she giggled.

"Oh geez," Andrew chuckled and sipped his freshly poured glass of orange juice.

"I'm serious!" Hope exclaimed. "You guys do everything together and are always around."

"There's actually something we need to tell you Hope" Andrew sighed. "Your father and I--"

"Stop! Do not finish that!" Hank interrupted as Andrew and Hope cackled.

Hank shook his head with a smirk across his face as Andrew leaned over on the counter to balance himself and Hope tried not to choke on her food through laughter.

"Very funny you two" Hank sighed. "I'll see you downstairs."

Hank walked away and Andrew sat down next to Hope with a satisfied sigh. "Good set up, hon."

"Thanks" Hope grinned happily.

"Do you need a ride?"

"No, Eva's mom is picking me up so we'll ride together."

"Okay" Andrew smiled softly, still getting used to how things were with Hope. She was eleven now and almost everything was different. Andrew hadn't experienced being a person of influence in a preteens life before...all he could do was his best. He'd learn how to help and support her the best he could and be whatever she needed him to be. One thing he knew would never waiver...was his love for her. "Are you wearing jammies to school or...?" He teased and gestured to Hope's attire.

"That's mean" Hope smirked.

"I'm curious!" Andrew defended himself.

"I'll go change right now then" Hope stuck her nose in the air sarcastically and pushed away from the table.

"Do you need help?!" Andrew hollered as Hope hurried up the stairs.

"I got it!" She yelled back.

"...right" Andrew mumbled with a smile, clearly still adjusting to Hope's independence. It felt like just yesterday that he was helping her with outfits, creating ponytails for the first time ever, and washing her hair for her.

Andrew cleaned his glass and Hope's bowl in the sink before grabbing a bag of peanuts he'd randomly found in a cabinet to bring to the basement for a snack throughout the day.

"Andrew!?"

Andrew sighed happily, maybe he still had a role to play after all...