chapter 64

Liv hadn't slept at all the rest of the night. Ever since they had gone back to bed, leaving the bathroom like it was when Liv had entered it, she had just been running her fingers through Dom's hair while he was sleeping, his back facing her.

His energy was still very off. He had started talking to her again, yes. But as soon as he laid down in bed he turned away from Liv and didn't react to anything anymore. Not even when he started crying again and Liv comforted him.

He had eventually cried himself to sleep, and after that it was just impossible for Liv to go to sleep. She was too worried about him.

So instead she watched him for hours, making sure he was sleeping peacefully. He was probably exhausted, because he didn't move at all.

Although Liv wasn't sleeping, she was deep in her thoughts. So deep, she jumped when the bedroom door opened.

The same small light that was always on, was on now, so Liv could see Sam, Dom's mom, entering the room, making Liv smile a little.

"Hey," she whispered so Dom wouldn't wake up.

She dropped her smile when Sam didn't smile back and instead frowned deeply.

"What happened in the bathroom?" she asked Liv, whispering as well and looking at Dom shortly before her eyes locked with Liv's again.

Liv held her breath for a moment and sat up. She moved her hand from Dom's head to his shoulder instead, to make circles on it.

"He- He had a breakdown," she explained, bending down to see his face so she could point at the bruise he had from the glass.

"That's not just a breakdown, Liv! There's glass everywhere! The bathroom is one mess!"

Liv nodded. "He got really upset."

Sam shook her head in disbelief, raising her eyebrow as she kept looking at Liv.

"Did he hurt you again?"

Liv was a little caught off guard by the question, which caused her to just stare at her for a moment, until she shook her head.

"H- He only hurt himself," she said quietly, looking down at his face again to see the bruise. "Pretty badly."

Dom's mom groaned in frustration, running her hand through her hair like she always did when she was stressed out.

"This is not okay. It's really not okay. Look at the bathroom! Look what kinda mess he made!"

Her voice got louder and louder the longer she spoke, and it caused Liv to unconsciously move her hand to Dom's ear to cover it so he wouldn't wake up. All she wanted was him to wake up and feel better, but he knew that if this woke him up, he'd immediately be upset again.

"He's doing better now though. I'll clean it up later. You don't have to," Liv told Sam as she was scratching his head right above his ear with her fingernails, still covering it.

"No Liv! You shouldn't be taking care of him like this!" Sam told her, her voice so loud Liv wasn't sure if covering Dom's ear even still worked.

"He would've done the sa-"

"He needs to get professional help," the woman cut Liv off. "I've been saying it from the start. We can't let him act like this any longer."