Protecting You

Maya exhales as she looks around to where everything had changed. She looked at the old park she once went to every day while looking how children ran around it. She wasn't just some kind of kid who went there playing with her mom or her dad. She was the kid trying to find comfort in it. Knowing that it would have been terribly hard for her. She was home. She shook her head as she turned around facing the blue-eyed boy she once fell so deeply for as she gently smiled not knowing how it would change her life.

"Hi," she managed to say while he slowly got closer self not knowing what was going on.

"Hi, Maya. How are you?" he had asked as Maya exhaled.

"Josh, what's going on? Thought we agreed that if we ever saw each other again we wouldn't be weird," Maya said as he looked at her.

"That was pretty much seven years ago. When both of us were younger and people change their minds," Josh said as Maya looked at him.

Fiddling with the band on her wrist she exhaled. She knew she had seriously messed up when she left to South America when she was 16 but she also didn't have a choice. Thinking back of how she had changed and how her life was so much different now than it was back then it was almost scary.

"I can explain," Maya said as Josh looked at her.

"I don't want to hear it," Josh said walking as he stopped besides Maya..

"You're somebody I used to know. I've never cared for people who just leave. And nor do I care for this version of you," Josh said walking as Maya exhaled.

"He threatened me," Maya said as Josh looked at the girl.

Tears burning in the back of her head she turned to Josh as the tears started to run from her face to the ground.

"Kermit threatened that he would do something to you if my mother didn't give him money. But it didn't stop. It never did," Maya said as Josh looked at her walking closer.

"Why?" Josh asked.

"He was a drug addict. Addicted to drugs and alcohol. The accident my mother was in before I left. It wasn't a coincidence that it had happened. And after I told him I wouldn't do it... He wouldn't stop," Maya said tears now streaming down her face as she tried to catch her breath while Josh looked at her.

"Maya... I never knew. I am so sorry," Josh said as Maya exhaled.

"I couldn't let him do anything to you. I didn't want to," Maya said as Josh pulled her closer into his skin as she sobbed against his shirt.

"Shh," Josh said stroking over her hair as he held her tighter and tighter.

"It's okay, shh," Josh said.

Holding her tighter and tighter against his skin, Maya immediately started to calm down as she pulled away as Josh looked into her blue eyes, which was red from crying.

"Are you here for good now?" Josh asked as Maya nodded.

"He killed himself. Gunshot. I wouldn't have come back to New York if he was still out there," Maya said as Josh looked at her.

"Okay come on then. You're staying with me," Josh said as he threw his arm around Maya's waist as they started to walk.

"I'm sorry," Maya said as Josh looked at her.

"You did a good thing. I'm just sorry I never knew what you truly did. What you did, Maya, is more than most people will do and I am incredibly grateful for a friend like you," Josh said.

"Just a friend?" Maya asked as Josh stopped and turned around looking into her baby blue eyes.

He exhaled seeing the love in her eyes that she felt for him, still after ten years of her crush. He smiled as he caressed her cheek leaning forward placing his lips on hers. Maya threw her arms around Josh's neck as he put his around her body pulling her in closer, slightly lifting her up, then putting her back down on the ground. Letting go of her he looked into her eyes as he smiled.

"Maybe more than friends," Josh said as Maya bite her lip.

"Definitely more than friends," Josh said.

"I love you, Joshua Matthews. I always have. And even if I have to go through everything again I will if it means protecting you," Maya said.

"I love you too. But let's say that's in the past now," Josh said placing his lips back on Maya's.