SAF

The morning was quiet.
Almost too quiet for Cory Matthews.
He looked around as he still hadn't seen the blonde he has been teaching History to yet.
He exhales as he knew he had ti get started with the class but didn't want to.

"Daddy, why is Maya being like this?" Riley asked her father and Cory smiled.
"I don't know, Sweetie. Let's go on with..." Cory said as Maya came into the classroom.
"Sorry, Mr Smith kept me up longer than I anticipated," Maya said sitting down next to Riley.

"Class, I want to teach you a very valuable lesson today. Friends are everything and no matter what you can't lose them. Ever. These friends help you through almost everything in life. Whether it's something stupid or just something that you won't ever know about," Cory said.

~

"Maya, I need to tell you something," Riley said and Maya looked at her best friend.

They were getting their next books while it seemed unclear what was going to happen at that moment.
Maya smiled at her best friend as she exhaled.

"Me and Lucas... Gosh, I can't believe what I'm gonna say. We slept together," Riley said and Maya's eyes widened.
"Riley! You're fifteen. What were..."
"Please don't tell anyone," Riley said.
"When have I ever told anyone a secret you've shared with me? It stays between us and not even will I discuss it with Ranger Rick. What's next class?" Maya asked.
"Health," Riley said.
"You go ahead. I just wanna get more books then I'll join you," Maya said.

Riley was gone as Maya looked for the right time to ensure she wouldn't get into trouble.
She closed her locker door as she went to music class.
It has now been empty for almost the entire school year since they no longer do music but Maya never wanted to give that up.
She smiled looking at all of the instruments as she exhaled.

Josh Matthews walked into the school and immediately saw Cory.
Smiling at his older brother he walked over to him.

"Hey, Core," Josh said.
"Ah, you made it. Welcome to Abigail Adams. Riley and the others are in Health at the moment but you are more than welcome to wait here with..." Cory said as a alarm went off.

He looked around and Josh could see that his brother was very nervous.

"Empty the classrooms. Now! It's the fire alarm," Cory said as Josh went to help empty out every room.

"What's going on?" Riley asked as they had no possible idea what was really going on as Josh came in the room.
"Fire alarm. Everyone get out," Josh said and everyone slowly went out of the school.

Rushing through the hallways everyone made their way out.
Cory checked everything out on a list while he looked at the one girl who hadn't check out.

Maya Hart.

Where could she be?

"Dad, Maya isn't here," Riley said.
"Where is she?" Cory said.
"I don't know," Riley said with tears streaming down her face.

Josh looked around as his niece was definitely freaking out over Maya who still hasn't been found.
A window burst opens causing everyone to get a fright including Riley who wasn't having the best time possible.
He exhaled as he knew it was going to be a roller coaster of emotions.

"She's going to be found, Riley. I know it," Josh said.
"How? They haven't found her yet," Riley said as she started to cough.
"Are you okay?" Lucas asked and she nod.
"Just a bit of smoke. We have to find her Josh," Riley said.
"Well you're not going anywhere near the school. You can eed to get some air on. You definitely inhaled some of the smoke," Josh said as he suddenly clicked where Maya could be.
"Lucas, stay here with Riley. I know where Maya is," Josh said rushing into the school.

Lucas looked over at Riley who clearly did get a lot of smoke in her lungs.
He sighed as he put a arm around her waiting for news on Maya.
He can't believe she would do something like this.
Not in a million years would he have thought this is the life that they are leading.

"Lucas," Riley said and he looked at his girlfriend of the past two years.
"Yeah?" Lucas said.
"I don't feel..." Riley said as she collapsed.
"Riley!" Lucas said and the paramedics on scene came rushing to her.

Josh was in the school and there were clearly smoke everywhere.
He had a hard time figuring out if he was anywhere near where he had to be.
He sighed as he saw a classroom which did look familiar.
He opened the door immediately finding the girl in there unaware of what was going on.

"Josh?" Maya asked.
"Thank goodness. There's a fire. We gotta get you out of here," Josh said as Maya started to panic.
"What?" Maya asked.
"Come we gotta get you..." Josh said as he saw flames immediately closing the door.
"We need to find another way out," Josh said.

Maya was sitting aside at the piano as Josh tried to think of what he is going to do with the girl.
The flames got higher and higher and as time went by he could see it was getting very dangerous for both of them to necessarily stay inside the school.

"How did you know where to find me?" Maya asked as Josh looked at her.
"Lucky guess. You told me once you like music more than anything else so I took a lucky shot. We need to get out of here," Josh said as he looked around.
"We're not getting out of here soon. All the windows have locks on them," Maya said.
"Maybe I can break them," Josh said.
"Josh," Maya said stopping him as he looked at her.
"Thank you for looking for me," Maya said as Josh could hear the young girl was petrified.

He nod as he went to the window trying to get something out of there.
After ten minutes he gave up and saw flames high up against the glass of the door.

"Josh," Maya said scared and he walked over to her.
"You're gonna be okay. I promise you," Josh said and Maya nod.
"Just stay calm. There has to be another way out," Josh said as he looked up finding a whole in the ceiling.
"Ventilation. That's how we're getting out. Okay, let's see how we can do this," Josh said.

~

"Is she going to be okay?" Cory said as the paramedics loaded Riley into the ambulance.
"We're taking her to the hospital just to do a test on her lungs," he said as Riley started to wake up.

"Lucas," Riley said as he came up to her.
"Right here. You okay?" Lucas asked and Riley nod.
"Why don't you come with? Will help her stay calm," the paramedic said and they were gone.

~

Josh and Maya were grawling through the roof as Josh got to a point where he saw light.
Jamming open the lid he climbs out seeing it's the back of the school.
He sighs as they are safe while Maya climbs out.

"Let me help you," Josh said as he lifted Maya out.
"There you go. You okay?" Josh asked and Maya nod letting out a cough.
"Okay let's go," Josh said as they made their way to the front immediately catching Cory's attention.

"Are you guys okay? We were worried," Cory said.
"I'm okay. But Maya inhaled some smoke," Josh said.
"They just took Riley away. She passed out from the smoke but I just got a call from Lucas. She's now okay. They are waiting for some results but she is fine," Cory said.
"Miss, come with me. We need to get you on oxygen," the paramedic said as Maya went with him to the ambulance.

"It's a miracle that you found her," Cory said.
"No it's not a miracle. What it is, is me getting way to close to that girl. And I think I'm okay with it," Josh said smiling as he saw Maya.

He saw as the paramedic put a oxygen mask over her face as another woman threw a blanket over her shoulders.
He exhaled as he knew it could have turned out a lot worse if he didn't know where to go and look for the young girl.

If you have not go and read Smoke and Fire.
Me, UpUrs2l and KoolC8 has worked extremely hard on it and will appreciate if you read it.