••dursley•• || professor

After a surprisingly distracting train ride, Kendra had just stepped out of her carriage and into the front doors of the school when Professor McGonagall stopped her and gestures her into her office, looking concerned.

"Kendra, it is good to see you here," Professor McGonagall said, smiling at the sixth year. "I just wanted to make sure that you were doing alright, and to let you know that if you ever need someone to speak to, my office is open."

"Thank you, Professor," Kendra smiled at the woman whom she could easily call a mentor. "That's very reassuring to hear."

"I will be completely honest with you," Professor McGonagall sighed, removing her glasses. "I have been very worried about you ever since your capture. I did all I could to make sure that you were recovered as quickly as possible and I am sorry that you had to go through that. I thought of writing to you, but... I was unsure if it would be unprofessional of me, as you are still my student."

"The thought is much appreciated, Professor," Kendra said. "For the past several months, I have felt scared, and alone. Being here, at Hogwarts, with my peers and my professors, it eases."

"You remind me of my daughter, you know," McGonagall said suddenly, looking at Kendra with well concealed heartbreak. "She had a rare blood condition, and passed just a week before her fourth birthday."

"I'm sorry for your loss," Kendra said. McGonagall shook her head.

"It was years and years and years ago," she smiled. "I adopted her in my late twenties- perhaps my early thirties. Our time together was short, but precious none the less. I was glad to give her a home, and a mother to love, for as long as I could."

Kendra said nothing for a moment. In all of her years, she had never known that McGonagall had a daughter, and she felt very special to have known this.

"You remind me of her because of your spirit," McGonagall continued. "No matter what you face in life, I have never seen your spirit broken. And Margaret was the same way."

"Thank you," Kendra whispered. McGonagall smiled at her.

"Remember my offer, Kendra. There is always help for those who need it here at Hogwarts," McGonagall said, standing. "And I look forward to seeing you in my classes this year."

Kendra smiled weakly at the woman as she stood, and for a moment, she put all of her own troubles into perspective. She thanked the professor again and then made her way into the Great Hall, where she quietly slipped into her seat.

"Where have you been?" Lisa whispered, concerned. "Sorting's about to start."

"Sorry," Kendra replied under her breath. "Professor McGonagall wanted a word."

Lisa nodded, though the worry hadn't left from her eyes. Kendra felt the pit in her stomach grow even more when she realized how much worry she had caused her friends over the summer. She smiled sadly at Lisa, and took her best friend's hand in her own. "I'm alright, Lis. I'm home," she comforted. Lisa swallowed.

"I know," she whispered, and for a rare, brief moment, Kendra saw behind the jokes and the sarcasm that Lisa usually used as a wall between herself and the sincerity of her emotions. It felt like another knife in the chest for Kendra, knowing that she was the cause of Lisa's grief and that her own experience had hurt her friends deeply as well. Despite having forgiven Morgana, she mentally cursed the witch once more. Lisa took a shaky breath and smiled. "And if anyone comes near you, I'll put my boot where the sun don't shine."

"Thank you," Kendra said, pulling Lisa into a side hug. She closed her eyes. "I'm glad your my friend."

"Shut it," Lisa whispered miserably, though there was no bite to her words. "You're going to make me cry my mascara off you numpty."

Kendra pulled away as they both turned towards the sorting ceremony for the penultimate time. In the past, she had harped on Dumbledore's defense of love being the most powerful weapon but in that moment, she felt nothing but love for her friends, a different kind of love than what she had for Harry, or even the now-vengeance twisted love for Hermione. It was different than the love she had for Professor McGonagall, as odd as it was to say. It was different than the love she had for Sirius. It was healing, fulfilling, washing away all of the wounds that she had collected over the past few years. It made her feel strong and whole again, despite her circumstances. Her friends made her who she was and in that moment she felt as though she could take a bullet for any one of them and still live.

It was then that Kendra realized that Hermione had been right- kind of. She had said it in the worst possible way, but she had been right. Kendra didn't need Hermione to heal. Yes, Hermione's love made her whole, gave her life, was the very blood running in her veins. Hermione's love was her body, and without it, she was nothing. But the love of her friends was her spirit and when she had it, there was nothing that they couldn't heal. They were more than classmates, they were family.

And that made Kendra fear for what was to come even more.

a/n: super short chapter (sorry I had to split it into two) but this sort of puts an end to this sort of arc in the past few chapters where Kendra is lamenting and self pitying. yea realistically it happened in like two days or whatever but like shhhhhhhhhhh don't mention it. next chapter we're getting into the meat and potatoes of this story- both how it and Kendra fit into the overarching Harry vs Voldemort part of the storyline, as well as Kendra's bad bitch arc

that's all for now my loves xx it's meme time now

here is my cursed dobby plushy that stared at me like this while I sleep 🥰