••dursley•• || 1999

It had been a year since Voldemort was killed and the war that had shaken the wizarding world was over. Nothing had returned to how it had been, but people had started to find their own new ways of life. And finally, a year after when she should have, Kendra Dursley was a Hogwarts graduate.

"Look at you," Hermione teased, slipping into a seat next to Kendra. She eyed the blonde up and down shamelessly. "I think blue might be your color."

Kendra blushed and took Hermione's hand. They had worn robes the color of their Hogwarts houses for the small ceremony--more for the war than the graduates but McGonagall had insisted on doing something. "Did Harry and Ron manage to make it?" Kendra asked, her voice quiet.

"Harry's getting swarmed somewhere," Hermione sighed. "I think Draco's on guard dog duty though, so hopefully he'll chase people off. And I think they said Ron wanted to bring that girl he's been seeing but since he can't bring her to Hogwarts, they'll pop by after for drinks."

"Her name's June, right?" Kendra asked, staring at the crowd of mingling people in the distance.

Hermione hummed in confirmation. She took Kendra's hands in her own, forcing Kendra to look at her. "She would have wanted you to be happy, Kendra. You don't have to deny yourself that."

Kendra let out a shaky breath. "I know," she replied softly. It was hard not to feel the ghost of Lisa follow her around everywhere. "I just miss her."

"I know," Hermione said, echoing Kendra's words. "I'm here for you."

"Thank you," Kendra said, smiling. The ache of missing Lisa had never eased but Kendra had learned to accept it, to shoulder the pain alongside her others. "I love you, you know."

"I do," Hermione said, her eyes twinkling. She pulled Kendra closer until Kendra felt the cool mint of Hermione's breath fan across her face. "I can't wait to hear you say those words someday."

Kendra's smile grew and she pulled Hermione into a kiss. "If it were up to me, I would say 'I do' right now," she murmured, pulling away.

Hermione smiled and took Kendra's left hand. "At least let me give you a ring first."

"I'll have to get you a finger to put in on first, won't I?" Kendra said, smiling teasingly.

"Oi!" Ginny called, and the pair pulled away, both rolling their eyes. "Come back to the party, lovebirds," Ginny giggled, hanging off of Luna's arm. Luna waved politely to the pair.

"How many times do I have to tell you to fuck off, Ginevra?" Kendra said. Ginny just grinned wider. Kendra shook her head and turned to Hermione. "Help me up, will you?"

Hermione obliged, helping Kendra stand and handing her the cane she had started using. "Let's go see if Harry needs saving from people," Hermione said.

Together, the four of them walked back to the crowd, hoping to save the Chosen One from whatever awkward conversation he had gotten himself trapped into now.

——————————

"Right, I think I've finally figure out how to do this," Draco said, his sleeves rolled up. Hermione sat next to Kendra, watching on skeptically. Harry sat in the sitting room nearby, watching and sniggering to himself occasionally.

"Wow, that makes me incredibly confident, thank you," Kendra said dryly. "Let the boy who doesn't even know how to cook put my fingers back on."

"Oi," Draco retorted. "Don't make fun of the person putting your fingers back on, either.'

Kendra rolled her eyes. "Just get on with it," she said with a sigh. "I'd like to be able to flip you all off with both my hands again, thank you."