••dursley•• || the second task

The morning before the second task had arrived with sudden swiftness and undeniable force. Hermione and Ron had left for Professor McGonagall's office early in the night before and Kendra had been forced to go to bed by her cousin once she started to sway whenever she stood.

She had awoken to Lisa's rather terrible singing, accompanied by the grumpy cries of Euphenia, who had decided that Kendra's chest was the perfect spot to knead. She felt awful, and not the awful she normally felt. A glob of guilt ate away at her stomach as she rose and brushed her hair mindlessly.

"Hurry, Kiki!" Lisa said brightly, applying a lipstick a few shades darker than her skin flawlessly, even without the mirror. "You're gonna miss Granger if we don't get a move on."

"Who're you sitting with?" Kendra said, punctuating it with a yawn and she pulled a pair of jeans out of her trunk.

"I invited Travis and Nott to sit with us, if that's all right," Lisa said airily, not really caring what Kendra's answer was. Of course, Lisa knew Kendra wouldn't mind- her and Theodore and grown particularly close in the month following the Yule Ball. "I'm not sure if Matt will be there or not, Damon said he wasn't really sure if he should invite him or not since, you know..."

Lisa was referring to the fact that Matt had a 'thing' for Kendra and had kissed her leading up to the Yule Ball. He had not bothered her since and no one would pull any funny business at the task, so it didn't really matter whether he came or not to Kendra. She nodded at Lisa.

"Can we go to breakfast now?" She asked once she had pulled her cardigan on over her turtleneck. Lisa glanced her outfit over and gave an approving half smile.

"Did you brush your teeth? Granger doesn't want to smell your stinky breath when she's kissing you," Lisa teased giving herself one more once over in the mirror they had hung over the space in between their beds.

"She didn't seem to mind the last time," Kendra said airily, intending to brush out of the room smoothly but ended up tripping over the doorframe. Lisa laughed but quickly asked if she was alright.

"Honestly, Kendra," she said, rather fondly. "You couldn't have better timing if you tried."

"Let's go to breakfast," Kendra rolled her eyes, more hungry than embarrassed. This time, Lisa didn't bitter with a fuss and they headed down the stairs towards the Great Hall.

An hour later, Kendra was in the stands with her group of friends, sat next to Theo, who's eyes kept sliding over towards a certain Slytherin in the stands nearby. She didn't see Hermione anywhere, and even more curiously Ron was missing as well, unless she was mistaking him for one of his brothers, but she wasn't sure why he would sit next to Lee Jordan and why there would only be one twin there with him. Damon and Matt were there too, though Lisa, her boyfriend Travis, Luna, Mabel had all wedged themselves between Matt and Kendra, just in case he tried anything.

"This is bollocks," Theo grumbled as he spotted the champions in swimsuits, talking straight through Dumbledore's explanation fo the rules. "Why would they even bother having spectators if the champions are just going to be in the lake for an hour?"

"Probably just so they can know the points at the end. Not that they wouldn't know even if they didn't come- nothing is secret here for very long," Kendra said wryly, sharing a meaningful glance with her newest and only Slytherin friend. Then her eyes were on Harry, who seemed to be having a bit of a rough time. The cannon had just shot and he was the only champion still on the platform. She was too far away to see anything more than that. He stumbled off the dock and into the murky water.

"And now we wait," Lisa said, her tone dry. She grinned suddenly as she felt around in the pocket of her trousers, extracting a box of Bertie's. "Care for a bean?" she asked Kendra, her tone far too sweet. Kendra snorted.