Chapter 28: A Mile In My Shoes

|Y/N|

I called my mom's number one last time before throwing my things in the backseat of the rental car. There was still no answer. I rubbed the bridge of my nose and got inside the car.

I don't know what I was doing, or what I was expecting. Since arriving in New Orleans, my mind could only focus on one thing: returning home. Or better yet, returning to Mom. I couldn't believe after all these years she still hadn't picked up the call or sent a text. It was my fault, right? She told me when I left I could never come back. I don't know why I expected her to change her mindset after all these years.

A knock came upon the window. I jumped back before seeing it was Chris. He waved at me, and I rolled down the window. "Yes?"

"Where are you going?" He asked leaning against the car, looking in. "I'm going to visit my old house."

He nodded and bowed down so that he and I were at eye level. I stared at him while he smirked, "Are you going by yourself or?" He trailed on before I nodded, "Yeah, I didn't want to bother anyone. It's just a couple of miles away from here anyway."

"Well, when you get back, I'm stealing you, so you can exactly sit down and watch the Captain America trilogy. Then, that way you can have a new favorite character." I smiled, leaning closer to him, "And who will that be?"

He licked his lips, "Me." Then, he closed the space in between us very quickly. His lips found mine within an instant, lingering on them longer than we needed. God, if anyone saw us.

I pulled back, starting the car and putting on my seatbelt. "Drive safe. Text me when you make it." I nodded, and Chris stepped away from the car, waving goodbye while I pulled away.

It didn't take me long to find my way back. A piece of me always thought I would forget how to get back, but I couldn't. I've spent too many years walking these streets. Day and night. As soon as I show the house, I got the gut feeling to turn back. Not to come any closer. I parked on the side of the street and turned off the car. It was one thing to see the place where you grew up. Yet, it was a completely different feeling when seeing it run down and abandoned.

I sighed and got out of the car, putting on some shades and walking up to the house. Everything just looks the same, whether or not the windows were gone and the doors had graffiti on them. People say when you're older, everything in your childhood becomes smaller. Yet, while twisting the doorknob, I still felt like that little girl coming home, searching for her mother. Knowing she wouldn't be there.

"No one's home." I turned to see a boy. He couldn't be anything more than 16, with unruly hair and dirtier clothes. Just like how I looked before taking care of myself. I turned to him fully, "Where are they? The people that live here?"

"I was taught not to talk to strangers." He frowned and looked away. "$20 say you do." He smirked, "Exactly, $40 does."

"$35 is all I'm giving you." The boy smiled and held out his hand. I placed the money in it and sat down the steps of the porch. "The family packed up and left a couple of years ago. The city bought the house to tear down, but they never did. Empty promises about making it a park."

I hummed, "And the family? Did they ever come back?"

"Who are you?" He asked. "A family friend." I lied with a smile. One of the easy lies I told for all of my life. Distant friends never really knew who my family was. I was embarrassed to let them know who I was related to. Hell, Sasha and Cass still don't know how bad it got at one point.

"Now, do I get your name?" I asked as he sat down beside me. "Quinn, but everyone calls me Q." I nodded, "For someone who was taught not to talk to strangers, you sure as hell like to for money."