Chapter 5: Exes Who Appear In Dreams

"I got stood up," I mumbled into the phone. "And I'm out of gas." A sigh came through on the other end. I did the same and sat down on the hood of the car. LA was crowded as usual, and now as the weekend started, it seemed like it was overpopulated. People flooded the streets and shops, walking in an endless loop from one place to another. For a moment, I thought I could hear the laughter of people from the movie theater.

That could have been me and whatever his name was.

"I'll be there soon. Don't move."

There was technically now where I could go other than the sidewalk. I don't LA streets for a second. Nothing good there ever happens to people like me.

Matt pulled up to the parking lot after 30 minutes. His clothes were soaked and climbed to his body. He wrapped his fingers around the gas can and speedily walked to me as the Uber pulled off. His shoes were untied. He almost
tripped.

Classic Matt.

"Get in the car. It's raining." He mumbled, pointing to the car. I didn't bother defying him. My hair was becoming undone, and I already know it was curling up. Washday is gonna happen real soon.

I ducked into the car and waited for him to come in. Soon enough, the passenger door opened, and Matt got into the car, sitting the gas can down between his feet.

I looked over at him. "You ok, Y/N/N," Matt asked as he brushed my hair back into place, but in a way, it felt like he was petting me.

I nodded and faintly smiled. "Nothing that hasn't happened before."

The car grew quiet. I felt like I should crank the car up and drive him, but a part of me wanted to wait here a little longer.

"Do you miss Dee?" Matt's voice hitched as if he had been waiting to ask that, but was scared it would come out wrong.

His hand slid over mine. My eyes locked on it.

"Not as much, but I still see him in my dreams." I chuckled. "He appears in and out, and he always has the dumb smile on his face." I laughed a little.

Matt only nodded. Something was bothering him.

"What about you? Do you still think of Pam?"

Matt sighed. The question he was maybe avoiding.

"She's wearing her mom's wedding dress. She walks towards me, and she looked me dead in the eye," He smiles at no one. "And for a moment, I think can finally hold her again, but when I go to touch her hand..."

Matt stops, voice trembling behind every word. He didn't like being vulnerable, but I knew tonight was just one of those nights when all that built-up energy gets let out.

I laid my other hand on top of his.

"Randall said that life moves fast, but love moves faster," I took his chin in my hand. "I'm not saying I have all of this figured out, but I do know that Randall is right. I wouldn't have agreed to this date in the first place if I didn't believe he was right."

"We both lost someone in that car wreck. The both of us grieved and grieved until it hurt to cry. I'm not saying we should forget about them," I mumbled. "But we should stop looking for them to come back. That's not how it works."

Matt squeezed my hand before looking at me again. His smile deepened and his eyes glossed over. "You first." He mumbled before looking out his window. I chuckled and laid back against the seat.

Yeah, me first.

The next morning I was up and ready to meet my new team. Ruthie set me up with a team, a lawyer, publicist, stylist, assistant, and security. She claimed that I needed to work on my social status, which is true. I haven't been on social media in months except for finding jigs and photoshoots. I didn't waste time tweeting about what I was eating or whether or not I was wearing foundation. It bored me to the point where I gave up all my efforts to keep my online appearance up.