Chapter 39: A Reunion Of Sorts

Just wanted to say: I love y'all so much. These comments are making my day. Thanks for the 11k 🖤 -A

Y/N

Mama LeBlanc was pronounced dead at the scene. The paramedics said her heart gave out in the middle of the night. It was too late for anything to be done. And Quinn found her.

It took him a while to get home and she waited for him. After eating and going to sleep, they talked for a while. Then, he got up in the middle of the night and used the bathroom. He peeked into her room and found her there.

The thought of him seeing her like that made me feel bad. That shouldn't have been his last memory of her. This is not what he deserved.

Putting the car in park, I sighed. Both Anthony and Quinn sat on the porch, looking straight ahead. I got out and walked over to them. "Guys?" Anthony's eyes snapped up to mine. He stood up and pulled me to one side as he dusted himself off. Anthony's voice was almost a whisper as he said, "He didn't want to leave the house. I didn't want to force him." I nodded and hugged him, "Thank you. I know you were probably busy, and I didn't know who else to call."

"Don't worry about it. If he's family to you, then he's family to me." He hugged me again before walking to his car and driving away. I turned to the house. One light was on. Mama LeBlanc's room. There's even the smell of her sweet perfume still wafting through the doorway, inviting me inside. It's so tempting.

I sat down on the second step just above Quinn. Trying to calm himself, he remained silent. There wasn't much left to say besides sorry, but when someone close to you passes away, you don't want to hear that. It won't make them come back to you.

Sniffing and sighing, he wiped his face. He didn't say anything, but his silence certainly did. So, I said, "How about you sit in the car, and I will pack your clothes?" Quinn didn't even nod. After stumbling to the car, he sat down on the passenger side and kept his head down.

As I climbed the steps, I looked toward the house.

I spent so many summers here. Days when Mom wasn't home, and nights when I couldn't sleep. Mama LeBlanc had her doors open for any and every child that needed someone. Family or not. I was only around for a couple of years, but there's no telling how many children she raised between me and Quinn. It would break their hearts to know she left them. Left us.

I walked straight past her room and into the back room of the house. I picked up a couple of shirts for Quinn and some pants. After that, I picked up two pairs of shoes. After putting everything in a bag, I went to the bathroom to grab a toothbrush.

Her room was right across from the bathroom. The light was on, and I could feel the room pulling me in. After putting the bag on the floor, I walked over to her door. I pushed it further open. I felt warmth, considering the weather outside. The covers were pushed to the side of the bed, and the pillows were angled towards the door. Near her nightstand was a picture of her family, as well as a Bible. The same Bible from when I was a kid. I flipped open the flap.

"For my Angel. May we meet again in Heaven. - Your James."

I smiled. God, they were so in love. Papa James did everything in his power to love her the ways she deserved. When he left, she told us she wasn't hurting. That the love he gave her in this life was enough, and he was saving the rest of it for when they meet again. I guess that was today.

I closed the Bible and turned to the rest of the room. I cleaned up her bed and pictured all of her jewelry, placing it in her jewelry box. Then, I walked out of her room after turned her light off. I told Q's spare keys off the counter and locked up the house.