Chapter 10: Thirty and Thriving

The weekend had finally arrived in a timely fashion. Ruthie had given me the Saturday and Sunday off, but she prohibited me from drinking a lot. Today, I just wanted to go to the bar, have some fun, and come back home to relax.

Yet, when you have friends like Sasha and Matt, there's no such thing as relaxing.

I expected to sleep in until 3 pm, yet my front door opened at 5 a.m. I could hear pots and pans rattling, and someone hissing the other. I rolled over in the covers and placed the pillow over my head, and for a moment, I thought I could get some sleep.

"Aye," The covers were pulled away from me. "Wake up, Forehead." Matt shook my body. I pushed back the pillow and looked at him. "Don't call me that shit." I smiled as he bent down and hugged me. I hugged him back. He kissed my cheek before pulling away and handing me a bag. "Open it."

I pulled back the tape and pulled out my gift. I opened the black box to see a very familiar ring. Matt's dad's ring. It was a gorgeous ring encased with gold lining. It was one of the few things that Matt's dad left him. I shook my head and placed the ring back into its box.

"I can't take this," I handed it back to him. "It's your dad's. It's yours."

Matt shoved it back to me, and he said, "If he was still here, he would have still given it to you. He would want you to have it." Matt took my finger and slid the ring on it. I faintly smiled down at it. It didn't feel like I should wear it.

"Now, Sasha's cooking you a breakfast for your big day." My eyes snapped up to his. "Aw, Nah, baby. That ain't gonna work." I stood from the bed and walked into the kitchen. "Sasha," I called out. She turned to me with a smile and blank eyes. Not a thought in her head. "Happy birthday!" She shoved a plate my way. Pancakes and eggs with bacon. I sniffed it and looked back at her. Sasha can't cook to save her soul. I'm pretty sure she can burn water. So, I was hesitant to eat this.

I took a bite while looking at her. She snickered and bit into her pancake. It was actually edible, and it was good. I continued to eat while she and Matt talked about tonight. I place down my plate. "I'll be back."

I walked to my bedroom and locked the door. I went underneath the bed and pulled out a box. It was my dad's box. A small treasure chest made for days like this. I never got to meet my dad, seeing as he died from cancer when I was 3. He knew that he was only getting worse, so he started writing letters to me. Every year, I read on my birthday. He wishes me the best days, told stories about his life before me, or he'll give me advice.

But, the box had one letter left. The letter was labeled, For My Baby's 30th. These were his last words to me. Great.

A knock came on the door. I placed the letter in my purse and opened the door. Matt was covered in flour. Sasha was laughing in the background. "Sasha threw flour at me. I told her you'll kill her." I sighed. I just shook my head and closed my eyes. "I never want kids."

***

Randall opened the bar's doors for me as I waddled in with my gifts. Sasha decided to go on a shopping spree for me. She bought me new clothes, food, and jewelry. I swear she treats me like her sugar baby sometimes, and I'm not complaining.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart." Randall pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back. He laid his hand on my cheek and smiled. "One year closer to death. Congratulations." I rolled my eyes and sighed. "I wasn't even thinking about death until now. Thanks, Randall." I walked to the office and placed down the bags. I stepped into the bathroom to take pictures of my outfit.

 I stepped into the bathroom to take pictures of my outfit