Part 41

All of Y/n's nerves and anger had returned the next day, as she had just put on her helmet and was driving out of the garage to do the formation lap. She was all the way down at P11, and she really had to put up a fight today, if she was gonna prove to everyone, but probably mainly herself that she deserved her seat. 

After finishing the formation lap she parked her car in the spot of P11. She frowned looking at all the cars in front of her, but took a deep breath to regain her focus. She could hear Riccardo retelling her about the strategy and stuff, but she didn't answer back. She just starred at the lights waiting for a go. She nervously shifted in her seat a bit, but stopped the moment the first light turned red. 

"And it's lights out and away we go here at the German Grand Prix. We see both Red Bulls off to a great start followed by the 6 times world champion and Charles Leclerc in his Ferrari. And into turn one we go and oh Lando Norris spins around a bit and drops down a few places. Here we see Y/n who had had such a great weekend right up till qualifying. Will she make it through to points today? Well She already gained a place from Norris' unlucky mistake."

"Alright P10, Y/n. Focus on attacking one car at a time. DRS wont be enabled until lap three, and watch the ties please" Riccardo spoke. "Copy that" she briefly answered and once again turned all her attention to the car and the track. She was chasing Pierre round turn 5, but was forced to take the long road and maintained her position in tenth. She kept closing the gab and managed to stay within a second of him. 

Round lao three and DRS was possible, she could see that Pierre was trying to turn away from the DRS area, so she didn't break until the very last second into the corner and kept her 1 second gap. Driving down the DRS stream she slipped pass him and increased her speed to create a gab between them. "Well done, watch Kimi in front of you" She obviously knew Kimi had way more experience than her, and therefore she really had to make an outstanding move to overtake him. "How are my tires?" she asked and waited for a response. "Looking good so far, we expect a pit stop around lap 20 to get an undercut"  

She continued to chase Kimi and was increasing her speed and slowly closing the gab. 10 laps later and she got her chance. Kimi's tires slightly locked themselves round turn 11, and though it was a bold move, she took the inside and only with about a centimeter she avoided his front wing and was now in front of him. "Yes, great job. 7 more laps before pit stop, gab to Ocon 4.5" 

Within the next 5 laps she had closed the gab, and it was now 1.9. She knew that she was about to pit soon, so she was giving it all she had with her tires. They briefly touched as she chased him down with DRS, and she was holding her breath making sure that she got pass him. "Do I have any damage?" she asked nervously. "Negative, box box Y/n" it was time for their undercut plan and she drove into the pitlane. 

What felt like a few seconds later she was out on track again with a fresh pair of tires. "Alright P13, now it's time to fight" her radio engineer spoke, and she tightened her grib around the wheel. She felt dehydrated and had a headache and the cockpit was really hot, but none of that was bothering her at the moment as she flew across the track closing the gab the Stroll. 

Slowly their plan was working as more cars in front and behind her was pitting. With 25 laps to go she was now P7. But of course luck wasn't on her side, and she began loosing grib on the car again just like qualifying yesterday. "Shit it's happening again, I'm loosing grib!" she almost yelled and you could clearly hear her frustration. "Alright we're looking at it, just try and avoid the apex as much as possible please"

With a car that felt like shit, she was chasing down Carlos Sainz in his McLaren, and lucky for her, it looked like he was struggling as well. And it was no deal to overtake him with the DRS. Moving up to P6 as she locked her next target, Bottas. They had crashed before, and she really wanted to avoid that this time. Her car began to feel better, and she got some of her grib back. She almost touched the gravel going into sector 2, but instead she pushed herself next to Bottas who was forced to take the wide turn leaving P5 to her. 

Her focus became more and more intense as she only had 12 laps left. Luckily she hadn't seen Charles anywhere which probably meant he was doing great. Hopefully at least. She spotted a Red Bull in the distance, but suddenly it disappeared and as she got closer, she saw him spinning out and taking his teammate with him. "The Bulls are out, You're P3, Y/n. Hold that position tight. Lewis in front. Charles is leading, but Lewis is increasing his speed"

Charles was leading? That was amazing, and she was so proud of him. But she didn't have much time to think that. In the distance she saw Lewis chasing down her teammate, and it would be a really close call. Though Y/n had been told to stay in her position, she made a quick decision. She still had grib left in her tires. 10 more laps to go. 10 more laps to catch the 6 times world champion and make sure her teammate would win the race. 

She pressed the speeder even harder if that was possible and began her hunting. Within 5 laps she had caught up. "What's the gab?" at first it was silent. "What's the gab Riccardo? I can catch him." she heard him sigh before answering. "The gab to Lewis is 4.8. Please don't do anything stupid" he begged but she ignored it. Lewis was increasing his speed, but so was Y/n. 3 laps to go and they were fighting round the corners, all three of them. She kept driving as close as possible without touching him, trying to force him to make a mistake. But he didn't. And Y/n was getting desperate. 

1 final lap to go and she was almost driving side by side with him. Fighting round all corners, but she wasn't getting past. She spotted the crossing line, and right as she thought the game was over, Lewis' breaks locked a tiny bit and they were driving side by side down the mains stream and crossed the line. She honestly didn't care about her result, the only thing that was important was that Charles won the race. He fucking won! 

"That... was probably your best race, and your best result. P2 Y/n, you got P2!" Riccardo and the rest of the garage was wildly cheering, and Y/n couldn't believe herself. She had managed to beat Lewis, to beat everyone else and made it to P2. 

"Would you look at that. The Ferrari's lock up the front row and make it a double podium P1 and P2. Their first race win this season and Y/n's highest finish in F1. That was some incredible driving right there. What a race everybody!"

A/N I am aware that everything I describe in F1 probably isn't 100% right, but I try my best <3