Part 54

"We should get something to eat, are you coming with us, Y/n?" Alex asked. They had all been in the hospital room for a few minutes, and Y/n had yet to actually get closer. She looked at Alex and shook his head. "I'll catch up with you later" she replied and they began leaving the room. Before Lando, as the last one, left the room, he placed a hand on his shoulder. "Don't be hard on yourself, alright?" Lando said. It was like he was reading her like an open book. Because a huge part of her felt guilty for some reason. Maybe because she had warned people about the rain on track, and nothing happened until Charles and Valtteri crashed. 

She nodded and soon, she was alone in the room with Charles. With everything she had, she forced herself to move closer. She grabbed a chair from the room and placed it down right besides the bed. Y/n felt her body slightly shake as she sat down on the chair, tears threatening to escape. 

At first she had no idea what to do or say, but slowly she found herself reaching out for his left hand where a wire was attached. She was sitting close to him, and she tried to force a smile while gently stroking his hand. "Please wake up, Charles. I need you in my life... I can't do this alone, and I need you... we all do" was the first few words she finally spoke. Of course she got zero response, but she continued to look at his closed eyes.

"Come on, baby. You promised me that you would never leave me" she said trembling over her words. What few tears, she had left, were now rolling down her cheeks. She never ever imagined herself sitting here watching Charles in a coma, and she had no idea what to do. She just sat there, silently crying while holding his hand, too tired to do anything else. 

-- 

When Pierre, Alex, George and Lando all came back from getting something to eat, they found Y/n still in the room. They had brought dinner to her, but she probably wouldn't be eating it at the moment since she was sitting on a chair leaning in over the bed and resting her head against Charles' arm as she was peacefully sleeping. 

The guys looked at each other, and for the first time today, a tiny small played on their lips. The couple looked so peaceful, and Lando knew how Y/n hadn't slept for a while. It was probably best to leave them be for a few hours, and then come back later. 

--

Hours later Y/n was woken up by her phone ringing. She was still in Charles' room, and Charles was still in his coma. She sighed heavily looking at her screen and hesitated a lot before finally picking up. "Y/n?" Tabatha's voice sounded by her ear. "Uh yeah I'm here, Tabatha" she spoke in a blurry voice, her hand still holding Charles' hand tightly in a desperate hope for him to wake up any second now. "Are you still at the hospital?" Tabatha asked. 

"Yeah I am" Y/n slowly answered also a bit confused to why Tabatha was even calling her. "Look, I hate to say this, but you really need to come back to the motorhome. You along with the rest of the team need to have a meeting about this whole situation" Tabatha said. You could really hear the sadness in her voice, but Y/n didn't register it. "What no! I can't leave him now" she whispered yelled. 

"Y/n you have to. We need to have this meeting like right now. You can go back after the meeting" Y/n sighed in defeat knowing that she had to go. But she really didn't wanna leave Charles. "Fine... fine just give me a sec, and I'll be there" she said in an irritated voice. After hanging up she looked back at Charles' peaceful face. She gently stroke his cheek for a few second before leaning in and planting a kiss on his forehead. "I'll be back" she whispered before leaving the room. 

Her three best friends all looked at her when she exited the room. "Hey you're awake" Lando said giving her a small smile. "Yeah uh I have to go back to the track for some stupid meeting. Can you please watch Charles?" She asked and they all nodded. "Yeah of course, we'll be waiting here for you" George answered giving her a hug before she had to leave the hospital and drive back to the track.

-- 

There was an odd mood around the track and the Ferrari motorhome, when Y/n arrived a few moments later. She sat in her car for about 5 minutes before she had pulled herself enough together to actually get out of her car and go to the meeting. 

Not many people were at the track and around the paddock at this hour, but the few that were, all had numb or sad looks on their faces. Obviously the whole world watched the crash, and Ferrari had already shared a part of the news to the media to shut people up and stop any possible rumors. 

But none of this made it easier for Y/n as she entered the building. It took a great deal of courage to finally open the door to the meeting room where a handful miserable faces met her tired eyes. "Please take a seat" Tabatha said in a calm voice, and Y/n sat down besides her looking at the ground. 

Finally Binotto stood up looking at everyone. "Obviously we are all well aware of our current situation. Thankfully Charles is alive, but giving the fact that he is in a coma, we need to talk about our future" he begun and Y/n swallowed hard not wanting to listen. "We don't know when he'll wake up. We can only hope that it is soon, but until then we have decided to take Robert Schwartzman as our reserve driver until Charles is able to drive again" 

Y/n was gonna have a new teammate? This did not sit right with her. "A new teammate?" She asked looking at Binotto. "I understand how all this is a horrible situation for you and everyone else, but we still have more races to go, and as much as I whished that it was Charles who were sat in that car now, we need to make other solutions" 

Deep inside Y/n knew that he was right, and they had to do what was best for the team in this situation, but it was still hurting her, and she left the meeting as soon as possible.