Part 55

When Y/n finally closed the door to her car as she was about to drive back to the hotel, her emotions became too much, and she broke down. She sat there with her head on the steering wheel as her salty tears streamed down her cheeks, and she let out silent sobs feeling like she couldn't breathe anymore. 

She didn't know for how long, but suddenly she had no more tears left to cry, and instead she sat there trying to gain control of her breath again meanwhile her whole body felt dehydrated and her head had a massive headache right now. 

The shaking in her body wouldn't stop, and she gave up on turning her car on at the moment. Instead she leaned back in her seat and starred into the cold and empty night sky trying not to wander too far with her thoughts. 

This whole situation was becoming more and more overwhelming, and she felt like she was stuck in a deep dark whole. She kept thinking about what she would even do with her life, if Charles wasn't in it anymore. 

--

"Y/n where the hell were you? I tried calling you like 30 times?" Lando said with a shaky voice as he pulled her numb body into a hug. She didn't even answer him at first, nor did she meet the worried looks that were plastered on her fellow driving friends. Instead she looked for her phone in her purse and turned it on, and she did indeed see about 30 missed calls from Lando. 

"They're giving me a new teammate" she blurted out and a wave of shock hit her friends. "What?" George asked with tears in his eyes. She nodded and swallowed the lump in her throat. "Don't they believe in Charles?" Pierre asked with sadness.  

"I don't know" she answered with a broken voice. Suddenly she felt a warm hand in hers and she looked over and saw Lando who had interfered their fingers. "Look, he's gonna make it. But right now we all need some rest. Y/n they've put up a bed in Charles' room for you, and we'll be at the hotel, but we seriously need some sleep." 

She was so grateful for her friends. Without them, she would not be here today, and for the first time since the crash she felt a little dot of happiness inside her as she embraced the four of them in a hug. "I love you guys" She whispered. "We love you too" Alex answered. 

-- 

"Love? Wake up, love?" A sweet and familiar voice spoke. Y/n's tired eyes shot open and instantly met with his. "Charles?! You're awake! You're okay!" she cried throwing her arms around him. He shushed her and brushed her back to calm her down. "Love?" he said again though she was still crying into his chest. "Love, look at me" she wiped a few tears away and did so. "You need to wake up, love" she rubbed her eyes. She didn't understand? "But I am awake?" she whispered. He smiled. "Wake up, love"...

... "Y/n?" her eyes shot open and she had to blink a few times as they were filled with tears. She quickly sat up and looked at Lando, who had a worried look on his face. Then she turned around again with a slight hope that she hadn't been dreaming. 

But disappointment hit her as expected, when Charles was still laying on the bed with his eyes closed. "No..." she whispered to herself and sighed looking down. "Let's get some breakfast" Lando said noticing how miserable she looked right now. Maybe some coffee and a good breakfast could cheer her up a bit. 

She hesitated for a moment but accepted his offer and she followed Lando to the cafeteria holding his hand because she was afraid to fall if she let go. They arrived in the cafeteria where she also spotted Pierre. Lando told her that both Alex and George were currently at some meetings as most teams would fly home today, but Y/n did not wanna leave right now. 

The thought of her driving her car already the next weekend made her feel sick. What about Charles? "Y/n you have to eat something, please" Pierre plead looking at Y/n who hadn't touch her food at all. 

"I'm just not hungry" she replied starring at the piece of bread on her plate. "Y/n" Pierre continued placing his hand on hers causing her to look him in the eyes. "I know it hurts, but we have to be strong for him" he said giving her a little smile. 

Both Lando and Pierre continued to stare at her knowing that it would pressure her into actually eating something. They only did it because they cared about her, and they didn't want her to be ill because she wouldn't eat anything. 

So after enough starring she finally began eating her breakfast, and she even finished it all. 

After breakfast the three of them went back to Charles' room. Just a few minutes after they had entered, a doctor entered the room followed by Mr. Binotto. "Ah Y/n I'm glad you're hear, I was looking for you" Mr. Binotto said before looking at the doctor. "Charles will be transferred to a hospital in Monaco tonight, and the rest of the team will fly home as well so we can be ready for Italy" he finished and all eyes fell upon Y/n. 

"Already? Sir, I don't know if I can drive this weekend" Y/n said in a low voice looking down at her hands. "Let's talk private" Mr. Binotto said and Lando, Pierre and the doctor left the room. "Look Y/n I completely understand you right now. I know that you and Charles have grown close, and you make such a great pair of teammates, but we still have the season to finish." he began and Y/n was about to say something, when he continued. 

"And I understand that you feel difficult right now, but we can't stop living because of him. We're gonna have to believe in him, and believe that he'll wake up soon. But until then we're gonna have to keep on living. This job is your dream, Y/n. Others would kill to have your seat, and we have to keep going. Not just because of you or me, but because of Charles and the rest of the team as well." 

Y/ knew that Mr. Binotto was right. She knew that she couldn't just stop living because of Charles, but it really was hard. "I know... I'll race" she finally said brining a smile to Mr. Binotto's face. "Thank you"