Count

Loud footsteps can be heard in the hallways, reach reaching their detained class.

"Jeez" Damion sighed. "What was all that? With Zote, and uh..."

Damien nervously glaced at Damion, not saying a word.

"I just..." he pulls his shades off his face, and stops.

"Huh?"

"There's nothing we can do?"

"Well, I'm not sure if he wants to talk to us." Damien frowned.

"I know, I know, me running my mouth..."

"I think he'll be fine. Or I hope so..." Damien directs his eyes to the floor. "Yura is there for him, I'm sure they'll work it out."

"Yeah..." Damion sighed once more, seeming frustrated.

"Damion..."

"Huh?"

"You've seen pretty...well..." Damien was at a loss for words, before he spoke again. "...persistent? I guess? Ever since I brought it up, you've been searching far and wide answers to uh...everything."

"Well, should I ignore everything then? This school, all the weird shit recently?"

"No, I don't think that. It's just...you seemed to not care for it at all before. Now it's everyday, me and you trying to find out anything about those kids...or..."

Damion looked into his shades and saw the reflection of a coward too scared to speak.

"Damion?"

"I don't know."

"What do you mean?"

"Hey, we can talk about it later. I don't want you getting in trouble for skipping class." Damion giggled. "Not over me, I'm sure I know a teacher that would kick my ass."

"But-"

"I'm sorry. I can't talk about it right now, ok? I gotta go." Damion pat his shoulder, before quickly walking off.

"Wait..."

Damien didn't move.

What the hell? They were supposed to go to class together, but now he's gone and run off again.

He could hear the bell again, he was late to class. He didn't know if he should go by that point.

He started to walk through the halls, trying to see where he could had gone. Not too long after he heard a loud slamming of a door. The doors for getting in and out of school were always so freaking noisy.

He rushed over to where the sound came from. It was the door at the front of the school. Skipping school? He shook his head, and felt a headache coming. What the hell was going on? God, why didn't anyone ever tell him shit? He always felt like he knew the bare minimum of what was happening now days.

What is this feeling? The thoughts in his brain seemed to fade more and more, as he can hardly bring himself to open the door.

Nothing around him felt real.

Everything near seems to dim in shade, as reality collapsed.

He just wanted to get to Damion and talk stuff out, what's all this? Why so sudden?

Something felt familiar, as if he had been returning to a place he had seen before. There was a noise, were they...footsteps? They sounded as if they were walking away.

He turned his head from the door, and saw a red figure walking in the far, far distance. They turned to the hallway left of them, and disappeared out of sight.

Who was that? It couldn't have been...

He desperately raced toward down into the halls again, hoping to catch whoever this was. The hall seemed endless, how much longer would this take?

As he searched he heard something unsettling.

Laughter.

It didn't help the pit in his stomach. Was this the right thing to do? Should he just go back? Is it too late to?

He nears what seems to be the hallway the figure went toward. He turned to his left, and saw him.

A clear copy of himself, facing backwards.

"Hello?"

The figure stopped laughing, but didn't move.

"Uh...are you gonna...speak this time?"

Nothing.

"Hey! What the hell's going on? What's all...this?" Frustration built in him, as the ache in his brain worsened.

"How long has it been?" said the figure. They did not at all sound like the voice he had heard in the dream.

"How long has...what?"

"One. Two. Three. Four..."

As they spoke, their skin darkened, and they changed in form.

"Oh I've lost track. It's a shame I haven't bothered to keep up."

"With...what?"

The figure turned it's head, and he could see bright eyes.

"Oh, did you think you could get off scott free? You think you're slick?"

"What..." Damion started to shake. "What are you talking about?"

"Silly. Of course you dunno. After all, nobody bothers to tell you a damn thing, right?"

Damion frowned.

"The dreams." they spoke. "No one left a dream of mine unaltered." They giggle, "I mean, when the hell did Yura become a catboy am I right?"

"Does...that mean..."

"Yeah, I changed something about you too."

"But...Damion..."

"Oh." The figure's grin expanded. "Sorry, you won't live long enough to learn about that."

"H-Huh?"

"What I changed about you..." they fully turn to face him. "Is your lifespan. The grim reaper's comin' early."

"Why? Why are you doing this!?"

"Mmmm..." they trailed off.
"It's kinda funny, y'know, in a tragic way"

Funny?

"Besides, there's like, a whole other thing I gotta do with another character and yadda yadda you're just eh...kinda irrelevant."
"Character? What-"

"Oh, sheesh, clumsy me. Eh, I'm too tired to bother."

"Wait, I still don't get it!"

The figure yawned out of both boredom and exhaustion.

"Jeez, I told you, I can't bother, you hear? Why don't you hurry up and wake up?"

"Huh? Wake up?"

"What, you think the world flipped upside-down on it's own?" they giggled. "Nah, you've been out for hours."

He didn't get it

Where did reality start

And where did his dream end

Damien woke up in class.
"Hey, hey..." He felt a nudge at his shoulder.
"Dude, get up. We gotta go to class."