Not So Bad

"Mom! I have someone coming over, can you please tell the kids I'll be back tomorrow?"

"Awe, honey, you better give them a show soon. I hate seeing their faces as of late!"

"I promise, I'll get to it. I just..." He sighed. "'I'll have the energy later."

"Well, alright. That's the most I've gotten from you for about two weeks! Oh, how they grow..."

As Husband lands himself on the old couch in his living room, he lets out a sigh of exhaustion.

He had a hard time coming to terms with what happened recently. Since Obama, who he felt was his only companion, had died so mysteriously the other day.

He felt so alone in this world now, like every part of this place there was to stick for had suddenly evaporated. Gone.

And the only one he could relate to now, well...

There was a knock at the door, as Husband's eyes shot open. He supposed that was his, and leaped up from where he was sitting. He scratched the back of his neck as he walked toward the door, and opened it to the one person he had been facing of against just the other day.

"Hey..." Damion said, holding a hand up to wave and nervously smiling.

"What is it?" Husband asked, folding his arms and giving the boy a frown. "You called, asked to come over, and now what?"

"Well..." Damion sighed. "I felt like I didn't get to give you a proper thanks, y'know? For helping me out, and uh..." Damion failed to meet Husband's eyes.

"Didn't we discuss enough last night?" Husband asked. "I don't know why you bother, it was my fault to begin with. You owe me nothing."

"Well, I think I do." Damion refuted. "And...if I'm honest...I enjoyed your company after the the other day. So like, maybe it's the least I can do, right?"

Husband groaned, and he could see that Damion was nervous about this entire interaction. Hell, he's giving the doormat a stare-down.

"Whatever." Husband replied. "Come in, I guess."

As Husband stepped back to let Damion through, he closes the door behind the both of them and asked Damion a question.

"So, did you have plans or whatever?"

"Aha!" Damion chuckled. "Well, if I'm being honest with you..." Damion lifted his shades up, giving Husband a slight glance before looking away again. "...knowing you, I didn't think I'd get this far."

"I'm not surprised." Husband replied. "But like, chill. I'm not gonna kill you."

"Funny coming outta you, after all that..."

"Hey!" Husband snapped. "I'm not hearing any of that." As Husband's grimace returned, Damion panicked.

"I-I was joking! I just..."

"You what?"

"...sorry. Joking's all I got after all that."

Husband waved a hand in dismissal, and he returned to help himself to the couch once more.

"You aren't usually all jitty like this." Husband asked. "What gives?"

"Well...if I'm honest..." Damion still failed to look back at Husband, as he continued. "...you said some stuff last night when you were drunk. I couldn't help but...feel..."

"What? Pity?" Husband finished. "Is that what you came for?"

"No!" Damion shouted, wildly waving his hands in panic. "I just...I needed to check on you."

"And why?" Husband asked. "Why could you possibly wanna check on me?"

"Husband..." Damion frowned. "It ain't gotta be like that. I feel like we even."

"Even?" Husband shouted. "You could had died, y'know? I was willing to kill you?"

"But last night, you said-"

"You're so goddamn nosy!" Husband yelled. "Why am I any of your business?"

"Boyfriend! I swear to christ if you don't keep it down young mam I'm gonna come down there and give you a lickin' myself ok honey?"

"Fine! Whatever." Husband groaned, clawing at his face. As the room finally settled down, Damion went up to Husband and asked.

"Listen." Damion said. "I think you did some shit, sure, but I still think you worthy of bein' worried about. Now you can think I'm crazy and you ain't gotta say shit, but the case is that I'm not changing my mind."

"There isn't anything to say." Husband said. "I'm just a bad person that did bad things."

"Then why did you help me yesterday?"

"Huh?"

As Damion continued, he pulled out the cloth bandage that Husband had worn before.

"If you're so bad, why did you carry me all the way here to try and get me treated. Why did you give me this bandage?"

"That's..." Husband looked away from the monster boy. "That's just cause' I was all weird that day, ok? Nothing to it."

"Really?" Damion asked.

"...I don't know..." Husband said. "It felt like everything changed at once when Obama died. If I'm being honest, I can't even remember my own motives for wanting to hurt all those people. It just felt like I was going along with what she wanted, because I was so wrapped up in my own plans with her."

"Did you just...stop wanting to hurt people when she died?"

"I dunno." Husband sighed. "It's hard to explain, I still feel like every point of my life is to be this big baddie. That's how I felt ever since I came back."

"Do you think you're destined to be bad?"

"Why you asking all this philosophical stuff?" Husband groaned. "You're giving me a headache."

"I just think..." Damion took a deep breath, before continuing. "...I think life doesn't have to end here, y'know? I think you're bigger then just that role in your mind. This ain't a play after all."

"What makes you think I want to change?" Husband asked, gritting his teeth in annoyance.

"Did it feel nice to help me yesterday?"

"I..." Husband was speechless, as it was a pretty conflicting question. Helping Damion, not just from his injury, but helping to distract him from everything that happened just last night...it was hard not to think back on it with some fondness.

"I guess I did."

"Well, that's a first." Damion said.

"I still don't get it." Husband asked. "Why are you doing all this?"

"I want to help you Husband, I think it may help for the better. Besides, how else am I gonna pay back that medical bill your mom payed for?"

"Oh shut up, this doesn't count for anything." Husband replied.

"Fine then!" Damion exclaimed. "I'll pay you back for helping me one way or another! Just you wait!"

"Honestly, I said-"

"I'll save you the way you saved me."

"I'd hardly call it-"

"Come on, please?"

"...fine."