Kind of Hope

Everything feels a bit cold.

It's a familiar cold to him, but not one of comfort. Every limb of his body felt cold. Not even the sheets could comfort him.

He groaned, sensing something amiss.

He turned to open his eyes, and looks beside him. But there was nothing.

"Huh?"

The warmth he had during the night had left. The warmth left with his new..."partner".

"Mnm..." he sat up in the bed. The sunlight is just barley peaking out the curtains by his window, looming over the bedsheets.

He took a deep breath, trying to think.

Last night was something.

That dream...did it mean anything?

The dark figure wasn't there, but the pale one had been.

Had something been playing tricks again?

The more important question to him, where was that pale creature? What was it being mauled by? What was that other creature who valiantly rescued him?

He gathered himself with these questions still in mind and hopped out of bed.

"Yura?" He called out. Nothing answered back. He sighed.

"Good grief." He slowly crept out from his room, into the small hall. He yawned, as he laid his eyes on the open bathroom door.

"Did I leave it like that?"

He walked toward the door, than looked in.

Multiple shards of broken glass laid near his bare feet, as he looked up to the mirror that had broken.

"What...in the..."

"Oats!" cried a voice. "Oats!"

"Huh?"

"He-"

"Firstly-" Zote turned around to look down toward who he assumed was the rat who lived here with him. "It's Zote! Z-O-T-E. Secondly-"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever! Listen!" The rat squeaked. "There was an intruder!"

"What!?" Zote halted himself.

"There was an intruder- and more importantly the cat is gone!"

"The cat? No, you don't mean-"

"I mean the boy, yeah." The rat responded.

"Who- what-"

"Slow you're roll! Stop asking questions right now. Listen, I'll chatter with you, can we just go down stairs and discuss it?"

"What- I mean...yes. Obviously. However, please, just...please tell me." He felt as if tears were nearly at his eyes.

The rat gestured toward the steps, and looks up to the boy. "Come on then."

. . .

"You didn't even see their face?"

"Nah." The rat replied. "All I saw was him getting consumed by a weird darkness, then poof. Gone."

"So...do you have any clue what happened in the bathroom?"

"Nope. I was only awake after I heard the sound of that mirror breaking."

"So...he's gone..." he looked down and his hands.

"I don't know anything that's going on here, hell, I'm late to the party. But if you need help, I've got you. Even if you're a rotten human."

"What's up with all this dark this dark that recently!?" Zote yelled. "I don't get it."

He thought to himself.

About the figure in his dream.

"Rat?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you think nightmares could become real?"

"Hmph!" The rat huffed. "Nightmares...real...haven't thought like that since her."

"Her?"

"I've had something like that, you can say. Pretty damn close at least."

"Explain?"

The rat crossed his tiny arms. "The Parasite. She altered my vision, told me to do this and I'll get what I want...when she was really leading me to my death. She claimed to me that she was a god..."

"A parasite?"

Zote thought to himself.

That didn't sound too far from what he had been experiencing him.

"Although, she never altered reality. She just changed my perspective."

"I wonder..." the boy squinted as his gazed across the room.

"Wonder what?"

"Hey." The boy pat the rat's head with one single finger. "Thanks."

"Huh?"

"I think I'm starting to get it."

"Get what?"

The boy walked toward the door, ready to go out the house.

The rat ran towards him. "Hey! Where do you think you're going?"

"I'm going to Damion's house."

"Who- whatever. I'm coming with!"

"Why?"

"I just saw that kitty vanish in the night! No way I'm seeing you disappear! I need food!"

The boy looked down at the rat again and exhaled. "Fine, fine. But I need to really go out there and look for him. He could be anywhere."

"Whatever bug boy, I'm in."