Chapter 72 • Distance

❥Warning:
Includes strong language.

-GEORGE's POV-
Dream helped me into the bathroom. I sat down on the toilet lid as he started the bath for me.

DREAM:
"So um..." he scratched the back of his head, "What are we now?"

GEORGE:
"Friends with benefits." I shrugged with a smile.

-DREAM's POV-
I frowned while looking at the water.

All of that adrenaline and euphoria wore off. I remembered why he was here and what happened between us in the past.

GEORGE:
"Dream, I'm messing with you." He laughed, "Did not seeing me for 6 months fuck you up that badly?"

Yeah it did.

George promised me he'd text me goodnight every night. He never did it once.

After the first month passed without any contact, I thought something bad happened to him. So Sapnap called him and let me know he was okay.

The second month, I made Sapnap promise he'd call George once a month to check up on him and he agreed.

The third month, I really thought he was never coming back. I had a little hope but not a lot. Sapnap ended up moving in with Olivia, that's how I knew George wasn't coming back for a while, since Sapnap couldn't wait anymore.

The fourth dreadful month, I was so close to buying a plane ticket to England but my passport was fucked up along with my ID. I took that as a sign to not bother him.

After the fifth month, I began staying in bed all day. I barely streamed and when I did, it only lasted an hour tops. And then I went back to my bed.

The sixth month was when I fully gave up on him coming back.

GEORGE:
"Dream?" He knocked me out of my thoughts.

I shot my head up to him as I swallowed hard. Tears formed in my eyes by accident. The water filled almost all the way to the top.

DREAM:
"I—it's ready for you."

GEORGE:
"Talk to me first." He crossed his arms.

DREAM:
"What about...?" I looked anywhere but him.

GEORGE:
"About how you can't look at me."

I sighed while staring at him finally.

GEORGE:
"Are you okay?"

I clenched my jaw.

DREAM:
"You didn't contact me for 6 months, George...so yeah, I'm a little upset about that..."

GEORGE:
"I needed time alone...the only person who I spoke to was my therapist and Sapnap. But Sapnap only called me once a month."

DREAM:
"Because I told him to...I needed to know you were okay..." I frowned.

George's eyebrows rose a little then he sighed.

DREAM:
"I mean...you're back now and I'm grateful for that but...I don't know...it doesn't really feel like you, came, back..."

His eyebrows squished together.

GEORGE:
"What? Pretty sure I'm standing in your bathroom. Well, sitting." He huffed out a smile.

I swallowed hard, taking a shaky breath out.

GEORGE:
"Look..." he sighed as his tone became more serious, "I missed you too. Don't think I didn't...I just had to be alone for this..."

DREAM:
"Why...?" I whispered.

George's shoulders dropped as he clenched his jaw.

GEORGE:
"I didn't want you to see me suffering...that would've made you suffer too. Dream—" he sighed, "My love for you never died, if that's what you're worried about."