Chapter Twenty-Seven

y'all better be ready for some confusion between names

Jenny and Dean sat next to one another across from Sam at the motel dining table, who was drawing a tree. The two were looking through Sam's computer at potential cases.

"All right. I've been cruisin' some websites. I think we found a few candidates for our next gig. A fishing trawler found off the coast of Cali— its crew vanished. And, uh, we got some cattle mutilations in West Texas." When Sam didn't respond, Dean turned to his brother. "Hey." Sam looked up from his drawing. "Am I boring you with this hunting evil stuff?"

"No. I'm listening."

Jenny frowned as Sam for a moment before peering over Dean's shoulder again. "Okay, uh... Sacramento. Got shot himself in the head... Three times." She looked up at Sam in hopes it would spark his interest. Nothing.

"Sammy." Dean waved his hand in front of his brothers face. "Any of these things blowin' up your skirt, pal?"

Sam stared at his drawing before frowning. "Wait. I've seen this."

"Seen what?" Sam got up from his chair and started searching through his duffel bag. "What are you doing?" Dean continued to ask as Sam ignored him, finding a photo. He looked between the picture and his drawing of the tree, scoffing.

"Guys, I know where we have to go next." He showed the drawing and the photo, Jenny frowning in confusion. "Back home— back to Kansas."

Jenny's eyes lit up at the thought of going back to Kansas. She could see Bobby.

"Okay, random. Where'd that come from?" Dean interrupted the girls thoughts as Jenny just had a thoughtful smile on her face.

Sam walked over to the two, handing them the picture and drawing. "All right, um, this photo was taken in front of our old house, right? The house where Mom died?" Dean nodded. "And it didn't burn down, right? I mean, not completely, they rebuilt it, right?"

"I guess so, yeah. What the hell are you talkin' about?" The older Winchester frowned, Sam sighing quietly.

"Okay, look, this is gonna sound crazy but....the people who live in our old house— I think they might be in danger."

"Why would you think that?" Jenny tilted her head in confusion as Sam scratched the back of his neck.

"Uh...It's just, um... Look, just trust me on this, okay?" Dean scoffed, shaking his head.

"Come on, man, that's weak. You gotta give me a little bit more than that." Dean frowned.

"I can't really explain it is all."