Chapter Fourteen

THEN2 years agoFort Benton, Montana

THEN
2 years ago
Fort Benton, Montana

"Small town." Jenny said to herself as she looked at the small shops she drove past, a soft smile on her face.

Her eyes wandered down the streets, looking at the people and children's faces. None of them looked like they had a clue what was going on. It was such a small town, they surely had to know the victims.

Jenny pulled up to a local diner, pausing when she realized the car she had parked next to. "Holy... shit. Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god—" Jenny scrambled to unbuckle her seatbelt, bursting out of the truck and almost slamming into the diner's doors before realizing they were a pull.

Voices clouded over everyone, but two struck out the most. They didn't sound anything like anyone else. Gruff voices and then a huff. Jenny's eyes landed on John Winchester, who shook his head at the man in front of him.

The older man's eyes met Jenny's, a shocked look on her face. Dean had noticed his father's sudden silence and the look he had on his face, wondering if the man had found a beautiful woman. When he turned around, his look of shock was about as big as Jenny's thin lipped smile.

"Jen?" Dean stood up, walking over quickly as she waved.

"What are you guys doing here? Wait— sorry dumb question. You working on the case as well?" Dean nodded as John walked over.

"Hey, Jennifer. I wasn't expecting to see you here." Jenny held her smile as she looked at the two boys, noticing that Dean was holding her arm as if he didn't know how to give someone a hug.

"Yeah I uh— was actually going to work on a different case but Bobby called and said someone beat me to it... I found this one in a paper and just decided.." Jenny shrugged. "Why not?"

"Yeah actually we had just done the same." John laughed as Dean chuckled softly.

"Why don't we sit down?" Dean suggested as Jenny and John nodded, the three returned to the Winchester's booth. Jenny sat on the inside next to Dean, John across from them.

"So, what have you and Bobby been up to?" John asked as he munched in a fry. His plate was still radiating heat, so they had probably not been there very long.

"Well, Bobby's been teaching me how to run the ropes of the phone lines. I got a few cards." Jenny rummaged through her chest pocket, handing Dean a small business card.

"FBI Director Miranda Keith." Dean hummed, eyeing Jenny, who nodded.

"Yep. Of course, haven't got many calls, but then there are those days where they never shut up." Jenny chuckled awkwardly as John gave her an understanding nod. Dean slipped the business card in his pocket.

Jenny cleared her throat. "Anyways, since we're all here... Maybe I could help out with some research? I don't have to go out with you guys, but I could be useful." She nudged Dean playfully, who turned to his dad with a look.