Chapter Thirty-Nine

THEN3 and a half years ago

THEN
3 and a half years ago

Jenny had her legs draped over Leo's as she read a book, which was 98% written in Latin. Leo was reading a newspaper, brows furrowed deeply in concentration. The two had been doing this for well over an hour, but while one page flipped, the other stayed on the same page.

After another few minutes of comfortable silence, Jenny looked up to Leo. "You've been staring at that page all day. What's on it?" Leo cleared his throat, looking over to Jenny.

"Uh— nothing. It's nothing." He lied. Jenny dropped her book, snatching the newspaper out of his hands. "Jenny—"

"Couple killed in crazed animal attack..." Jenny read aloud, her words trailing off slowly. Leo balled his hands up into fists as she lowered the article, slowly looking back at him. "You're not actually... You're not actually thinking about going there... Are you?"

"Jennifer— If I don't ... More people are gonna die."

"Yeah, every full moon! Le, you promised you would stop searching for more cases!" Jenny kicked her legs off of Leo, waving the paper around. "And this one especially?!"

"I know that it's a werewolf, Jenny. But you have to understand—"

"I under that if you go to Springfield, you aren't coming back!" Her voice croaked as she gripped the article, standing up angrily. "You won't go!" Leo looked up at the brunette with a solemn expression, turning away before nodding.

"Okay. Okay... I won't go." Jenny lowered her hands and nodded, lips pressed together firmly as she forced tears back.

"Good. I'll call a friend then... See if they can handle it." Jenny tossed the article down next to Leo, who cleared his throat.

"I actually know a guy that's good at killing werewolves. I can call him up." Leo stood up and pulled out his phone. He paused for a moment before kissing Jenny on the forehead. She hummed in response, watching him walk out of his bedroom.

Jenny picked at her thumb before starting to bite down in it, chewing nervously as she stared at the article again. She paused at the sound of a door clicking open and then shut quickly. "Le?" She called out, walking out of the bedroom. "Leo?"

A truck's engine revved up, her eyes widening when she looked out the window to see Leo backing out of his driveway. "Leo!" She yelled, bolting out of the house and to the truck. She ran after it, hands on the hood even as he continued to drive out. "Stop! Please!" She screamed, horror filling every part of her before she fell down.

Leo paused for a moment as he turned the truck, mouthing an apology before driving off.

✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Jenny's eyes popped open as she woke up, sitting up with a soft groan to see Sam folding a map and tucking it back into the glove box. "What time is it?" She grumbled, rubbing her eyes.