Prologue

Then - 1987

Then - 1987

Jennifer Price didn't grow up in an Apple Pie life. In fact, she didn't grow up at all. As soon as she could walk and talk, that was when she became an adult.

Her parents were fairly infamous Hunters at the time. They didn't plan on keeping Jennifer, but one look in her yet-to-change crystal blue eyes, and they were in love. Henry and Phoebe couldn't give her up. They were the one thing that kept them at bay. Kept them sane and kept them from diving further into the Hunting rabbit hole.

It was a shame, really, that they still did what their parents did even after having that little girl. Continuing to hunt so they could feel a thrill. But being chased by ghosts and supernatural creatures where ever they went... It was hard not to run away from it all.

Once a Hunter... Always a Hunter.

They really did try, though. They did good for a few years. But '81 rolled around and suddenly women were disappearing where they lived, Henry and Phoebe had to know what or who was behind it.

A few months after they had gone back in the deep end, that's when it really hit them. They would never live a normal life.

They started training Jennifer. Sure, they didn't just hand her a gun or knife and tell her to have at it, but they taught her about the darkness of the world, the dangers that lurked in the darkness. Was it necessary for them to do that? No. Absolutely not. Did they do it anyways? You bet your fucking ass they did.

By the time Jennifer was 8, she could load a gun in just a few seconds, and shoot a target dead center with a bow no problem. Do it with her eyes closed? She could do it sleeping. She had become a killer by then. She never knew anything else.

It was a dark night when Henry caught a lead outside of San Francisco. Nearly a whole day from where they lived in Kansas. All signs pointed to a werewolf, maybe even a pack of them with how many bodies were dropping once a month.

Phoebe didn't think about the consequences of leaving their daughter with a nanny while she and Henry left. She didn't really think at all. She had never seen a werewolf, she wouldn't pass up the opportunity to kill one.

It was close to Christmas when they left. Who leaves their kid in December? Hunters. And what happens to Hunters all the time? They die. Plain and simple. You're born a Hunter, you die a Hunter.

Jennifer didn't understand that when a bearded man knocked on her door that day, but she understood now. She'd never forget his face when he told her Henry and Phoebe were dead.

Bobby Singer. That was his name. She remembered him from only a few months ago. Her parents and another Hunter friend helped him. The night his wife died. She didn't think she'd see him again.

She didn't think he'd give her the childhood she deserved. Or rather, that he'd continue teaching her to be a Hunter.

Maybe that's what she was destined to become anyways. If her parents hadn't taught her to be a Hunter, maybe she'd grow up to be one.

Avenge their deaths, or fear the very thing that killed them.

At 12 years old, Jennifer Price considered her life to be anything but a normal preteen girl's. On weekends, her and Bobby would go out to the woods and she'd hunt their next meal. Rabbit, deer, and if you cooked it right, coyote wasn't that bad. It also kept them away from the junkyard.

While Jennifer wasn't actually aware of it, Bobby was making sure she had the guts to kill an animal so she could learn to be a better supernatural Hunter.

And she thought her Hunting year was over. But really, it barely started

━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦━━━━
prologue word count: 666
here's a poor excuse of a prologue. don't forget to comment and vote :)