Chapter 46

A/N This chapter has a lot going on and a lot of minor (and major) characters are introduced. 

We spent the rest of our drive in casual conversation about school. Lyle filled me in on everything that was happening at my old school from student drama to teacher affairs to the sports. My hockey team was killing it with Weston as the new captain, though they had a rough patch when I suddenly disappeared, but they powered through. Our gym teacher was having an affair with one of the freshman cheerleaders, which was gross but not surprising. One of the theater girls is pregnant and doesn't know who the father is. Typical teenage drama.

I told him about Quinn, the junior incubus who was intellectually enough to be in some of my upper level classes. The boy is too snappy and smart for his own good. I could tell Lyle was getting jealous over him but kept his mouth shut because he was trying to be supportive of my new life.

When we pulled up to the pack, it was nearly 10am. I recognized the pack lands easily. Besides a few new updated buildings, it looks the same from when we visited last year. Since our Aunt Myra and her husband are only pack warriors, it is not as prominent that they stay on pack lands at all times compared to our parents. Because of this, they mostly visited us. However, they just popped out their third kid, so they haven't been by much. Luna has made a few weekend trips, especially to help out with the new baby, but we never had to come along. The oldest child, Tyrone, was only 14. He loves playing and hanging out with Lyle and me and used to insist on coming to some of our games despite the distance. He was someone we had to be careful to avoid during our trip here because he wouldn't settle for a quick conversation.

Lyle drove to the address that the council had listed for the woman we were meeting today. Marybeth was supposedly a 70 year old woman who used to be a warrior for her pack. When she retired as a warrior, she became a council member. Now that she has retired from the council, she just resides in a quiet part of the pack with her mate Simon.

To say we were confused once we pulled up would be an understatement. We had to follow a long dirt road to even reach the house. We were met with tall gates all surrounding the house with a long line of thorn bushes. Several cameras were posted around the gates. The house was relatively small with tinted windows with the shades pulled down. The grass was well kept but it didn't seem like anyone spent much time on it.

Lyle parked a little ways down so we could get out and investigate. I put on my shades and pulled the hood of lyle's sweatshirt closer to my neck to cover some of the scars.

We approached the gate as the cameras all turned toward us. I pressed the button that I assumed rang into the house.

"Hello? Who are you?" A male's voice spoke through the speaker. Lyle jumped at the sudden voice, so I took his hand in mine to soothe him.

"Hi, we are from the Starlight Pack. The Alpha's sons actually. We are studying the history of the council. We were visiting our aunt in this pack, so we thought maybe we could stop by and ask a few questions to your mate since she is a former member," I expertly lied, keeping an innocent smile on my face. Lyle's eyes burned into me, but I just continued my façade.

There was a moment of silence before the speaker spoke again. "I'm not sure you will get much out of my wife, but I can try and answer some of your questions for you," he suggested. I looked over at Lyle who held a similar curious stare as I did.

"That would be great. Thank you, sir," Lyle replied for us, following along with my little plan.

There was a buzzing sound and the gates unlocked, allowing us entry. I let go of Lyle's hand before entering since we were supposed to be brothers not lovers. Lyle frowned, but he understood.