•33: Drowning

➖ Anwaar ➖

Anwaar ➖

ABUJA,NIGERIA

The hallway was filled with istigfar and cries, from the family members and every other person that was there. A sad sight to see.

"No. No, this can't happen. Do you even know the nonsense you're spewing."

"We're  sorry. It was her time. We have tried our best. May her soul rest in peace. "

"How could you say that, do you know what you are saying." Hajiya said to the doctor. Among the family members she was the only one that was being strong.

"This can't... the next thing you could see was Hajiya Maryam collapsing on the floor and next she was being rushed to the room.  Hope sliding down.

Yet another episode.

Meanwhile, Anwaar was standing at the back. He had frozen in one spot. He was in shock. Terror.

"Anwaar" Umar called his name softly,you have to man up and be strong, take heart. He embraced him, trying to calm him down.

He fell on his knees, tears cascading down on his face. No. He can't man up. He also has emotions, and it can't be controlled at the moment. He abruptly stood up and ran out of the hallway to anywhere that he would find himself.

"No"

He is probably having a dream. A very bad dream, which he wish he could wake up from it that moment, but it's not a dream. It's reality.

"Is this it?"

"Is she really gone?"

"He's going crazy"

Slowly... No swiftly.

Yet again another episode.

~*~

A nurse came out of the ICU looking disheveled. She rushed to the doctor's and told them something silently. The doctor's rushed back directly to the ICU.

The ECG monitor was beeping continuously, making the doctor's to place the heart vibrator on her chest. Check her pulse. Check her, give her a shot of adrenaline .

"She's breathing. She's coming back to life " the doctor said excitement married on his face.

She's becoming stable now..

God is wonderful.

That was an rebound moment for the doctor's. It's not everyday that you find that type of miracle. God is really great.

They cleaned their body and came out of the ICU.

On seeing them Hajiya hurriedly rushed to them with a tinge of hope.

"The patient is not dead" The doctor said.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

We gave her a shot of adrenaline which made her heart rate to be stable and her vitals become good. She is going to be monitored in the ICU, until she regains consciousness.

~*~

Waking...

Strange...

Dream about trees ? Oh, come back! Come...

Stray...

But so strange...

Afreen was lying on her back. That was strange enough she always slept face sideways. Now she only knew that she wasn't by the sensation of upness and down ness--- she couldn't actually feel the pressure of the mattress against her back. She couldn't feel anything.

She couldn't be floating.

Still dreaming?

When she tried to feel with a hand if the mattress was there, it wouldn't move. Nothing moved! Stuck!

She tried to open her heavy eyes, but the light was too bright. Meanwhile her hands were moving trying to gain the attention of whoever that was sitting close to her.

"Afreen you are awake. Alhamdulilah." Hajiya Maryam said her voice in with a hint of pain and uncertainty.

It seemed a huge effort to open her eyes. Slowly the lids rose.

"Darling"

With a flood of relief Afreen dragged herself out of the nightmare. Ummie's voice. The mist unblurred a little and the shape was Ummie's face. She couldn't see the brown eyes and the mouth now.

She tried to smile but her lips wouldn't move.

"It's all right, darling. You are going to be all right. "

There was something terrible in the voice. "Do you know me, darling? Can you understand what I'm saying? Close your eyes and open them again. "

The lids moved slowly. When she opened them she could see better, Ummie's face almost clear, but still just blur beyond.

"Oh darling!"

Relief and joy in the voice now, but something still, underneath.

"You're going to be all right, darling. Don't worry. You have been unconscious... for a long time.

"Let me call the doctor." She pressed a botton and the doctor came running into the room with a nurse at his back ."She is awake, doctor."

"Can you please step outside." The doctor said to Hajiya Maryam.

He checked the monitor and it showed that she had regained consciousness and was now stable. He went out of the ICU to meet her family.

"Alhamdulilah. She is now stable." The doctor said. The next thing you could hear was tahmeed coming out of everyone's mouth. What a great news!

"Can we meet her?" Hajiya Maryam asked.

"Yes, but one at a time. She needs silence.

Hajiya Maryam went into the room and saw Afreen lying on the bed her eyes opened.

"Darling!" Hajiya Maryam called going to Afreen's bed making Afreen to flash her a weak and tired smile.

"Ummie" Afreen called with a tired voice.

"Alhamdulilah you're awake. You scared us." Ummie said as tears fell from her face.

"What am I doing in the hospital?" She asked.

"You can't remember?" Ummie asked her feeling scared of the outcome.

Meanwhile, Anwaar was sitting huddled at his families farmhouse, hand over his head, head between his knees, curling himself into himself as tight as he would go, sick with terror as the  cold air conditioner blew the world apart around him.

His phone which was laying down on the floor near the exit door was shrilling. He covered his ears to block the sound. The phone kept shrilling and he picked it up.

"Yaya Anwaar she's awake...

Comment, vote, share and follow

Mardieeeee❤.