55: Silent promises

➖Afreen➖

Afreen➖

ABUJA, NIGERIA

Afreen's heart had been heavy with nervous anticipation all day. She had made up her mind; she wanted to be with Anwaar forever, to mend what had once been broken between them. But the thought of confessing this desire to her parents made her palms sweaty and her stomach churn.

As the sun began its descent towards the horizon, Afreen couldn't sit still any longer. She had to share her feelings with her parents. Gathering her courage, she approached her mother who was in the dinning taking a bowl of fruit salad.

"Ummie, there's something I need to tell you and Abbie," Afreen said, her voice trembling slightly. She felt like retreating back and keeping quiet, but she knew she couldn't, at that moment.

Ummie, sensing the seriousness in Afreen's tone, exchanged a knowing glance with Abbie. "Of course, my dear," she replied gently. "We'll meet you in your father's room after Isha prayer. Whatever it is, we're here for you. We're going to the hospital right now. "

Afreen felt the motivation that she had gotten to speak, drain out of her body.

"Ok."

The hours passed like an eternity for Afreen. She paced the floor, her mind filled with thoughts of the past, the love she and Anwaar had shared, and the possibility of a future together. It felt like the weight of the world rested on her shoulders.

Finally, the time came. After Isha prayer, she made her way to her father's room, her heart pounding in her chest. The room was illuminated by the soft glow of a lamp, casting long shadows on the walls.

Her parents sat there, their expressions a mixture of curiosity and concern. Afreen took a deep breath and gathered her thoughts. She knew she had to speak from her heart.

"Ummie, Abbie," she began, her voice wavering. "I've spent a long time reflecting on my life and my choices, and I've realized that I want to make amends. I want to be with Anwaar, and I want to marry him."

A heavy silence hung in the air as her words settled in. Afreen couldn't bring herself to look at her parents, fearing their reaction. Time seemed to stand still.

Then, her mother's eyes welled up with tears, and a warm smile spread across her face. She reached out and took Afreen's hand. "Oh, my dear," she said, her voice filled with emotion. "We've been waiting for this day. We believe that love should be given a second chance."

Afreen's father nodded in agreement, a proud and loving smile on his face. "You have our blessings, my child," he said. "We'll support you in every way we can. Let's start preparing for your wedding."